Peco N Track Code 55 or Code 80

G

Gravedigger

I am currently building my first N gauge layout.

I have been wondering that which best track is Code 55 or Code 80 and why? I feel that Code 55 is better than Code 80, but not sure 100%.

Thanks for any replies.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
code 80 is SetTrack and code 55 is StreamLine track, the code is the height of the rail above the cross tie, The larger the number the taller the rail is, i.e. Code 55 rail = .0.55 inches

Most N scale track is code 80

Also you can mix Peco and Arnold track just by cutting a few sleepers of, worth knowing if you can find a good deal on ebay or somewhere like that :smiling3:

Hope this helps?

G

Gravedigger

Thanks, Sonic

Would you recommend Code 55 or Code 80 for the whole layout?

I think Code 55 track points look amazing than Code 80. I still can't decide to go for Code 55 or Code 80...

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I found this for you, hope it will help

Do I Want Code 55 or 80?

Personal taste here, but there are some basic facts to consider:

• Code 55 looks more prototypical
  • Some wheels flanges may roll on the ties on Code 55 (fix: replace w/ low-profile wheels)
  • Code 55 offers a greater selection of turnouts than Code 80
  • Code 80 offers Insulfrog turnouts; Code 55 does not
Both 55 and 80 are very high quality track, so that's not an issue. PECO's 55 is an innovative design that embeds part of the track into the tie, so you get .055" rail height without sacrificing rail rigidity. In Code 80 Insulfrog turnouts, some wheel treads may cause an electrical short on the insulated frog unless the heel rails of the frog are isolated with insulated rail joiners

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
And if you want to know the difference between insulfog and electrofog (because I didn't have a clue:mrgreen: )

"The PECO Streamline Insulfrog electrical system is extremely simple, making if particularly suitable for the beginner or less experienced modeller. That said however, Insulfrogs are popular among experienced enthusiasts. Wiring instructions are almost unnecessary and, provided locomotives are fitted with correct current collectors, perfect operation will be achieved.

"Insulfrog (Insulated Frog) turnouts incorporate the minimum dead section due to the tapered frog rail design. Each PECO Insulfrog turnout is 'switched' so that only the track for which the blades are set is electrically alive (except OO slips & G-45 turnouts...obscure stuff).

"Electrofrog (Live Frog) The PECO Streamline Electrofrog system provides maximum continuous electrical pick-up assuring perfect smooth running even at very slow speeds -- provided of course, that current collectors and wheels are always kept clean. A layout using Electrofrog turnouts is slightly more conplicated to wire and therefore often suits the more experienced modeller. However, once the basic principle is learnt -- ie, 'current must always be fed to the toe end of each live frog turnout', the rest is not very difficult."

M

Moped Rider

If you are thinking of purchasing second hand rolling stock as well as new I would be inclined towards the long established code 80 Peco track as older Graham Farish locomotives will have no trouble with that.

Your decision is pretty much down to how realistic you want your layout to look. Warley Model Railway club have used code 55 in their N gauge layout, but then they have the skills to change the wheels on the rolling stock if they need to!

Cheers

Moped

Last edited:
M

MJH

code 80 is SetTrack and code 55 is StreamLine track, the code is the height of the rail above the cross tie, The larger the number the taller the rail is, i.e. Code 55 rail = .0.55 inchesMost N scale track is code 80

QUOTE]

This isn't quite correct. Streamline comes in both code 55 and 80 forms. Settrack only comes in code 80 and is smaller radius curves and points. Streamline incorporates larger radius point and flexi-track. Personally I would steer away from settrack in visible areas (good though for fiddle yards).

Code 80 is much older and coarser, 55 is now pretty much the norm, though you might have the odd problem with really old stock with wheels having too large a flange.

IIRC code 55 has the same amount of rail in as code 80 just that code 55 has part of the rail buried in the sleeper so it doesn't look so out of scale.

Mike

N

new to trains

more help needed please

And if you want to know the difference between insulfog and electrofog (because I didn't have a clue:mrgreen: )"The PECO Streamline Insulfrog electrical system is extremely simple, making if particularly suitable for the beginner or less experienced modeller. That said however, Insulfrogs are popular among experienced enthusiasts. Wiring instructions are almost unnecessary and, provided locomotives are fitted with correct current collectors, perfect operation will be achieved.

"Insulfrog (Insulated Frog) turnouts incorporate the minimum dead section due to the tapered frog rail design. Each PECO Insulfrog turnout is 'switched' so that only the track for which the blades are set is electrically alive (except OO slips & G-45 turnouts...obscure stuff).

"Electrofrog (Live Frog) The PECO Streamline Electrofrog system provides maximum continuous electrical pick-up assuring perfect smooth running even at very slow speeds -- provided of course, that current collectors and wheels are always kept clean. A layout using Electrofrog turnouts is slightly more conplicated to wire and therefore often suits the more experienced modeller. However, once the basic principle is learnt -- ie, 'current must always be fed to the toe end of each live frog turnout', the rest is not very difficult."
can you give me some details on the pros and cons of wiring electrofrog points please, how do i go about it - i am new to model trains but have years of experience in Radio controlled models, i feel i can have a go and succeed, but would like your advice first !

cheers