SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks for posting these photos Rick, looks a good place to visit

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here are the last shots from Pensacola. The Ships prop is from the USS Intrepid, I served on her for the last part of my enlistment. The old guy propped up next to it is you guessed it myself.. The nicely rendered model is also the "Fighting I" in all her WW2 glory.
Enjoy, Rick H.P1010500.JPGP1010501.JPGP1010502.JPGP1010503.JPG

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's some model of the carrier .:surprised:
John.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
John,
Near as I could tell it appeared to be 1/72nd scale. The actual ship has been reworked and modified several times over since WW2. I served on Her as a flight deck "Trouble Shooter" attached to VA45 Detachment 1 (A4-E Skyhawks). Nothing quite like sitting in the cockpit on the No. 1 elevator, riding the brakes while being jacked for a starboard main mount change. All the while Recovery ops are being conducted and the arrested aircraft are coming to a halt less than 20 feet away! My first Cruise was to the North Atlantic and Jolly old Portsmouth was on our Port of Call List. Yes, I did take a train to London, found a great hobby shop and Purchased the latest Minitanks Manual for 74p. Still have it! Last of all and the best part of this dissertation is the USS Intrepid was not scrapped after Her decommissioning.. She is now an Aviation Museum and is tied up in the New York Harbor.
Cheers,
Rick H.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That was some experience Rick. ! Thanks for that .
Good to see she's' now a museum and not been scrapped.
John .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Rick,
If only we had museums like these here. The only good one I have been lucky to visit is the Australian War Memorial Museum in Canberra. I was even luckier to have seen a guest display of the only remaining WW1 German Tank 'The Mephisto'. I recommend it highly. Thanks for the pictures. The exhibits are lighted up nicely. I particularly like the Vindicator as I have a kit to be made, Intrepid and also the Tigercat.

69.jpg The ugly fellow spoiling the profile of the tank is me sun burnt.

Cheers,
Richard

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great pics. Some rare birds. Thank you. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks guys for all the nice comments.
I don't know if any one is interested but While in Florida I also visited Fort Pickens Not sure we have a reference site for fortifications. I'll post some pics when I figure out where they go.
Regards,
Rick H.