Peter Day's 120MM Spitfire Pilot

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_7749.JPG

Well, here's my entry - a 120mm RAF fighter pilot from Mitches Military Models, sculpted by Moz Corry.

The box contents:

100_7752.JPG

A typical Corry sculpt - long and lean. There are some dirty great casting blocks to be removed, some which will need a bit of delicacy (new razor saw acquired), and some of the detailed parts will need careful handling. As usual, there are no instructions, but fortunately there are plenty of photos on the Mitches web site. The arrangement of the parachute is the tricky bit:

download (58).jpg

I won't start this for a few days, as I've got a bust project that I want to get out of the way first.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This looks very nice Peter. It will be great to see how you tackle this one.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Oooh I was just looking at this on evil bay , but I'm not too keen on the sculpt, much as I am an admirer of Moz. I'm thinking I want a RAF to balance my Luftwaffe, but they are rather thin on the ground. I might have to do a conversion, but not for the GB

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. Wow glad your in looks like winner I’ll be following this

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter, I was expecting the head painted already...:smiling2: For a change, I'm early with lots of seats available. I'll go get some pop corn.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Welcome chaps. I won't start it just yet. I'm a bit apprehensive to be honest - if I can get it tidied up and built cleanly it will be a miracle.

As you say Neal, there aren't many full-figure RAF subjects out there in this scale, and this wouldn't have been my first choice because of the sculpt, though I have seen some nice painted-up versions of it.

D

Deleted member 6559

Now partially built and ready for paint:

100_7769.JPG

This needed a lot of cleaning up - heavy casting blocks to remove, mould seams everywhere, pin holes etc etc. At least the fit was pretty good and only a small amount of filler was needed at some of the joins. By a miracle, the only thing I broke was the life vest inflation tube, which is easily replaced.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That looks quite the sculpt. Shame it needed so much work on it. I hope the wet stuff goes on easier for you. Looking forward to this one. Good luck

D

Deleted member 6559

Sorry Steve, missed your post. Thanks for looking in.

Time to get on with this one then, and here's the head:

100_7797.JPG100_7798.JPG

Absolutely b***dy awful face to paint - dodgy eyes and a mass of wrinkles across the forehead. I was stuck with it however, having no alternatives in the spares box. I think this will be a 'sum of parts' figure.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Despite any shortcomings I agree with Scottie that that is a great face.
Jim

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great stuff Peter, if anyone can make it good you can.

Andy.

D

Deleted member 6559

Blimey - where did you all come from? Glad you approve people. I've since managed to open up the left eye a bit more, so it's looking better than it did..

First Name
Andrew
Wonderful work on that face Peter. My favourite for a long time. I think your Hindenburg is my all time favourite!
Andy

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning again Peter
A double blog morning!
It's already been said, super head,under the circumstances, well done.
Should be an interesting day on the body, more leather and life jackets.
Still grey but warm, perhaps sunny weather later.
Have a good day with the paints
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Andy - Many thanks.

Steve - I've worked a bit more on the face and managed to resolve the left eye a bit more to my liking. Sunny here at last and my granddaughter due this evening - work will inevitably slow down!

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
This one is cracking Peter...definitely one of my favourites.