Peter D's Luftwaffe Crew Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_8143.JPG

My second entry for this GB, a 1/10 Young Miniatures bust of a Luftwaffe crewman, 1940. As you can see he's depicted wearing a steel helmet, like this JU88 crew:

https___i.pinimg.com_originals_fc_3c_c0_fc3cc0987cc93babd075dac11efb394f.jpg

He's obviously expecting a bit of flak.

The box contents:

100_8142.JPG

The usual Young Miniatures high standard of sculpting and casting (the bag contains the fiddly stuff; harness straps, rip cord handle, intercom jack etc).

Creating contrasting beige tones between the flying suit and the life vest will be the main challenge here:

a-special-summer-flying-suit-for-a-luftwaffe-bomber-crew-an-early-BR64N0.jpga-special-summer-flying-suit-for-a-luftwaffe-bomber-crew-an-early-BR64P2.jpg

I have seen some reference where the life vest is yellow, but I believe the above photo to be about right.

D

Deleted member 6559

Wheels up:

100_8144.JPG

The head and helmet are loose, but the life vest collar is fixed into place, since I could see no advantage in painting it separately. The small parts within the loop are the rip-cord handle and the attachments for both ends of the intercom wire, one of which also attaches to the back of the flying helmet.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
That looks nice. Didn't imagine a steel helmet would be worn. The bag certainly looks to have some fragile bits.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Front seat please Mr Day .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Front row next to JR with fire bucket at the ready (Supplied by Mr T Enterprises)

Looks a great bust Peter. Quite the challenge. Lookin forward to seeing how you tackle it. Good luck sir!

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Front and centre.

Andy - It's OK, I make him sit on his hands.

Steve - Keep an eye on JR and you'll get a free HobNob (I have to charge these days because of the wife; '' What do they think this is, the Ritz?'').

The bust does look challenging doesn't it? Animating the life-vest will be the main problem, though I should be able not to make him cross-eyed like the box art.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I was thinking the box art was more Herman Munster than Herman Goering........and your comment about the eyes nailed why! I’m sure you can leave that poor attempt in the dust.

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - The box art is by Calvin Tan, one of my heroes, so the eyes mystify me.

Mick -Be seated mein Herr.

D

Deleted member 6559

The head:

100_8145.JPG100_8146.JPG

I found this an absolute pig - stripped down twice before I began to get somewhere. I've always found Mike Good's heads need a different approach, but it always takes me a while to realise that and adapt my technique. The reason Calvin Tan's box art looks cross-eyed is because the eyeballs turn inwards and will therefore distort the gaze from certain angles.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Fantastic as ever Peter,or i should really say...........
....... WONDEROUS!!!

D

Deleted member 6559

Very many thanks chaps. Good job I didn't bin it like I felt like doing at one stage.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Your persistence has paid dividends with a super head, a pale complexion of the night worker and well done with the eyes too.

The steel helmet is different but there are plenty of references of American flyers doing the same.

Should be a fun day with the body and the life jacket and the very high ""Elizabethan style collar""!

Still cold but clear and bright, so it should be a good day to paint.

Enjoy the paint

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

I'm relieved that the face worked out in the end. I have tried to go for the pale night-worker/pure terrified look by limiting the warmer tones I'd normally use (his smile is bravado, and the hand holding the cigarette is shaking)..

Cold here too, but the clear skies meant a brilliant super-moon last night - bright pinky orange as it rose.