Peter D's Tamiya Luftwaffe Pilot

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_7939.JPG

I've cleared this with Neil, as I didn't want to step on his toes, but the act is that I've been so inspired by his own excellent build that I had to have another go at this one. This will be my fifth version of this figure and the first where I may (only may) use the kit head.

Sprue shot:

100_7940.JPG

A fine sculpt and the usual high standard of moulding by Tamiya.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Peter.
Looks like it will be a warm one to day.
Front seat near the window please.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I seem to remember this one. I reckon it's gonna be too hot to paint today. They say 29 degrees here.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

John - I'll get the fan from Owen's room. He's gone to his sister's for the weekend, so now we can all us it..

Neil - All true; you're doing a cracking job on yours.

Jim - The heat has now defeated me. 34 degrees predicted here, and it feels like it..

The thing built and ready to paint:

100_7941.JPG

An easy build and only a tiny bit of filler needed. I've got around the cuff-title problem by completely removing it - cheating I know, but there is no was I would attempt to paint the lettering. I've also included a flare pistol, which I may not use. I'm going to have him holding the cap behind his back.

I decided to give the Galland head a go:

100_7943.JPG100_7944.JPG100_7945.JPG

Hmmmm, not sure. It looks like him, but it is a bit of a caricature and not that realistic. I'll see if it grows on me over the next 24 hours.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see you doing this one again Peter. What will you be doing different this time around?

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Thanks.

Steve - Hi. Probably the head. I don't think I can live with the kit one, so I've prepared two otters, one capped and one bareheaded.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter.
Heatwave over, back to normal service!
Dont you think Galland's post war publicity and his very distinctive looks are part of making his head look a little "different"?
Good job though, even if you dont use it.
The next few days painting will be a familiar journey and the same palette too, always a comfort when things get busy.
Its weekend and lots to do, as ever, hopefully some vampire time too?
If it does happen, I'll pm you!
There will be loads of metal work too!!
Enjoy the cooler day and getting stuck into the uniform, version 5!
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Galland had a very distinctive face, but not that distinctive. I feel that Tamiya have created a caricature which spoils an otherwise excellent figure. I've stripped down the head that I used on the version that appeared in all it's glory in a certain modelling magazine (reproduced too big, warts and all) and will have a go at that today.

Not sure that it feels that much fresher here. Yesterday was torture, the humidity being the worst thing. Hope you get those pale vampirish flesh tones started after all of the chores.

D

Deleted member 6559

The second head:

100_7951.JPG100_7957.JPG

I decided to go for this Dragon spare, which I found very, very difficult to paint - the eyes were very narrow and really hard to get at. However, as I've stuck it on the figure, I must be reasonably happy with it.

Normally, I wouldn't bother with the Knight's Cross, finding the Tamiya ones a bit prone to flash, but here I'd thought I'd give it a go. I painted the ribbon on the knot of the tie first before sticking it on. At least that's the fiddly stuff done.

D

Deleted member 6559

Forgot to mention that the RAF sent over a photo reconnaissance Spitfire to have a look at this chap while I was working on him today:

100_7946.JPG100_7947.JPG

Sorry for the lousy photos. I missed the first pass which was much closer - a fly-over of the Kent and Canterbury Hospital to thank the NHS. I believe it's this aircraft based at Biggin Hill:

31304925097_2cb39327bc_b.jpg

We normally get up to four Spitfire fly-overs a day here - expensive day trips from Biggin Hill - but this was much lower.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Agree about this heat Peter, I've been painting for around 30 mins and its enough, even with a through draft.
New head is certainly less of a caricature and will look better. Nice photo of the Spitfire, any photo is worth seeing.
Not seen any this year from the BBMF, only a short distance from here for them, normally see them coming back from a fly by.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers John - Much cooler and fresher today, thank goodness.

I've decided not to carry on with this one. The second head is rubbish too and I really can't be bothered to start another. Instead, you can marvel at Neil's great rendition - his fine finish says all that need to be said about this figure.

I did make a version of this a year ago anyway:

100_4846.JPG

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. I’m lost for words but the flyby was good you’ll find your grove in a minute

First Name
Andrew
Forgot to mention that the RAF sent over a photo reconnaissance Spitfire to have a look at this chap while I was working on him today:

View attachment 394546View attachment 394547

Sorry for the lousy photos. I missed the first pass which was much closer - a fly-over of the Kent and Canterbury Hospital to thank the NHS. I believe it's this aircraft based at Biggin Hill:

View attachment 394548

We normally get up to four Spitfire fly-overs a day here - expensive day trips from Biggin Hill - but this was much lower.
Did you see that it had THANK YOU NHS on its wings! It flew all over Kent

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thank you for such kind and gracious words ,Peter.
I'm disappointed not to see your new version, but I do like the previous version a lot- especially the head position, which is much better than either of those in the kit.
It's very interesting to see different peoples' takes on the same model- you've found creases where I missed them, for instance.
Fingers crossed the next one hits the right spot.
Keep the faith , bro

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - To be honest I'm struggling with my eyesight at the moment. I had hoped to get back to doing more 1/16 subjects, but I think I'm going to have to space them out more among the busts. Hayfever and sinusitis affect the vision - couldn't see the TV this evening.

Andy - Re the eyesight! It was also pretty quick and reflecting the sunlight, so I didn't see the thank you message. I did see the invasion stripes on the one that flew over later in the day though, which I believe is this one:

0_Copyright-2019-Richard-Paver-Photography-13-of-33.jpg

Neil - That's what I like about this game - there is more than one way of skinning a cat. Here are some more images of my last version:

100_4853.JPG100_4852.JPG100_4854.JPG

I did here what I more or less intended for the latest version; went a bit OTT on the accessories, put the cap behind his back etc. I made the flare pistol bandolier from paper and 1/48 shell cases.

Last edited by a moderator:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
shame, I was looking forward to seeing the otter in a hat............ :thinking: #8