Peterairfix's Starter set Challenge GB. Chat

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
But I think that it should also be stated that the base kit has to be the same.
EG. If you built an Airfix spitfire starter kit the "give it all" version should be the same kit/version. So no building a top draw Spitfire from another company.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Almost forgot. Shall we set the end date to the end of August or September...

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I havn't started my first kit yet so will I still be allowed to join in the new improved two kit challenge??

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I havn't started my first kit yet so will I still be allowed to join in the new improved two kit challenge??
Sure you can. but read the revised rules. BOTH the restricted and the unrestricted kits should be the same..Otherwise there is no base for a comparison.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
I would love to see you join in. Build the first with all the Starter Kit restrictions and then work your magic of scratching and weathering on the second. I'll bet the difference would be amazing.
Jim

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Rules state that you must build the restricted kit first and the enhanced version with all the bells and whistles.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
But I think that it should also be stated that the base kit has to be the same.
EG. If you built an Airfix spitfire starter kit the "give it all" version should be the same kit/version. So no building a top draw Spitfire from another company.
I agree, but the devil is in the detail - what do we understand by "version"? I have 2 Airfix starter set Spitfires that are a different boxing to the one I've built using the starter paints/brush/glue, they're the same plastic but different decals.
I would say that's enough to give a fair comparison.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I agree, but the devil is in the detail - what do we understand by "version"? I have 2 Airfix starter set Spitfires that are a different boxing to the one I've built using the starter paints/brush/glue, they're the same plastic but different decals.
I would say that's enough to give a fair comparison.
Pete
Ignore that - IanM has answered in the other thread.
Pete

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I agree, but the devil is in the detail - what do we understand by "version"?
Maybe a bad choice of wording on my part. I mean to say that as long as it is the moulding of the kit and not a newer moulding. So same plastic. If the decals are different does not matter.
Hope that cleared that up.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Ian wrote "I assume that Peter and Peter have no problem in co-hosting the GB" in my thread "Another Starter Set GB?" but if I try to reply I get a message stating that I have insufficient privileges to reply!
Anyway, I have no problem with co-hosting, whatever that means.
Pete

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Second kit has arrived

IMG_0135.JPG

I have only just got back to the bench today so no idea when I will get this project started. Looking forward to the challenge though

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m suddenly wondering: what manufacturers other than Airfix and Revell make these kind of all-in-one starter sets anyway? IMHO the Revell ones are too incomplete, paint-wise, to bother with for this group build, and the Airfix ones are too well-detailed :smiling3: So what other choices are there?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'd been thinking of a Revell Hurricane for this GB but decided instead on the Spitfire as I have a few of them. I'm glad I did now - having seen your problems Jakko, I just checked the Revell kit, which has 3 colours - Dark Earth, Dark Green, and Ochre Brown!
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If only they’d put Sky in that kit, you could paint it perfectly well …

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ah yes, you’re right. These appear to be far more complete than the Revell and Airfix ones — you even get this in each set:

12001_tools.jpg

Wait a sec, that’s their My First Model Kit line, they also have a “Model Set” line. The main difference seems to be that you get a CD-ROM with the former and not with the latter, and the pots of paint are different.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello chaps.
I hope this post will be taken in the way it's intended - A simple request.

Those who want to see the back of the pot paints used for this G.B. Please don't bin them but let me have them. I only brush paint and can almost fight them into submission.

P.M. me please if interested.

Thank you.
Ron

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The Revell paints are quite good, it’s just they come in those awkward little plastic tubs. I’ll certainly be keeping them for future use. Sorry :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hello chaps.
I hope this post will be taken in the way it's intended - A simple request.

Those who want to see the back of the pot paints used for this G.B. Please don't bin them but let me have them. I only brush paint and can almost fight them into submission.

P.M. me please if interested.

Thank you.
Ron
Ron, apparently I can't PM you.
I have a handful of those "snot pots" as someone called them, but they're not worth the cost of posting - are you planning to attend any modelling shows in the near future, e.g. COventry?
Pete