PETES 1/28 guillows PBY 5a catalina

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
It was not my intention to do a flying boat but i was in my local recyling resale area and i got this one for a £5 some bits are missing but all plans are there,so missing bits wont be a problem but where to build it will because of the whopping 45inch wing span.

God what have let myself in for.

Peter t

View attachment 76061

View attachment 76062

2014-01-09 11.17.10.jpg

2014-01-09 11.17.35.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well cool. I have seen one of these built as a flying model!!! it Looked well nice.

Good to see that this Themed Build is pulling loads of interest.

I'll look forward to this one.

Ian M

G

Graham D

\ said:
It was not my intention to do a flying boat but i was in my local recyling resale area and i got this one for a £5 some bits are missing but all plans are there,so missing bits wont be a problem but where to build it will because of the whopping 45inch wing span.God what have let myself in for.

Peter t
Good fun.

C

Caledonia

Nice choice, something very nostalgic about the Cat. Cheers Derek

First Name
Gregg
Not a bad kit really, made this several years ago with electric/R/C.

You have probably more parts there than I have left after flying it! :sad: :sad:

Any ideas on your colour scheme as there are some good iron on coverings.

Gregg

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
\ said:
Not a bad kit really, made this several years ago with electric/R/C.You have probably more parts there than I have left after flying it! :sad: :sad:

Any ideas on your colour scheme as there are some good iron on coverings.

Gregg
I have no idea what color scheme i will do,as i have never done a kit like this.

Peter t

J

John Huggins

I just love the shape of the PPY, wish i had one to build.

I remember building one many (many) years ago & fell in love it, i'll be watching.

Good luck.

John

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I've often wondered how these Guillows kit sets go together. Nice propeller Peter, and a good start. Looking forward to more soon.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice start Peter. I have the Guillows F4U-4 Corsair fighter @ 3/4" = 1ft...Wingspan 30", so your model is indeed a whopper.

The balsa goes together easily being laser cut, doesn't it? I've finished all the airframe, but have baulked at skinning the thing....It's tissue paper and I really want to use thin card, but apart from that, I haven't the skill to do the detail required to finish it off satisfactorily, so I've chickened out up to now, but maybe watching your progress might just be the incentive I need to do some more...

Keep posting progress.

Ron

First Name
Gregg
This is looking good, I hope your enjoying the build as much as I did. It really makes you have to think more than building a plastic kit don't you think. :smiling3: :smiling3:

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Nice start Peter. I have the Guillows F4U-4 Corsair fighter @ 3/4" = 1ft...Wingspan 30", so your model is indeed a whopper.The balsa goes together easily being laser cut, doesn't it? I've finished all the airframe, but have baulked at skinning the thing....It's tissue paper and I really want to use thin card, but apart from that, I haven't the skill to do the detail required to finish it off satisfactorily, so I've chickened out up to now, but maybe watching your progress might just be the incentive I need to do some more...

Keep posting progress.

Ron
If it's not meant to be a flyer, the weight of cardboard/plasticard/paper isn't crucial.

I have built and flown (broken) several Guillows kits and always enjoyed the build!

Gregg