Pete's 1/48 Leopard tank

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, apologies to Chris, but this is going to be my next build in the GB! It came without decals or a box, in a bag with £5 written on it, but it was actually thrown in free with a Frog Lancaster at the Shuttleworth Collection model show a couple of years ago.
P1150614.JPG

I've never heard of this maker:
P1150616.JPG
It's likely to be more of a toy than a serious model - here's a clue:
P1150618.JPG
I won't be fitting the motor!
The moulding quality is not bad, considering.
P1150615.JPGP1150617.JPG

Instructions are a bit basic, but then there aren't many parts.
P1150612.JPGP1150613.JPG
Should be a fun quickie.
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Pete, keep in mind that although shot down at almost every opportunity by the ' Higher Echelon' of the model making community, these so called toys can still be made into very acceptable models.....to some. Wink, wink!

I look forward to following the build.

Ron

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, I'm sure you're right Ron, but probably not this one. I'm already regretting starting it. There is some reasonable detail, but the fit is terrible. The plastic is horrible, being too soft to sand well yet brittle. The gun barrel just fell apart while I was trying to get it to look circular rather than rectangular.
Maybe it could be made into a good model, but I don't think it would justify the amount of work needed, it's never going to be very good.

I think I'll just glue all the parts together in more-or-less the right place, then use it as a paint mule, or just throw it away.
Pete :crying:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I seem to have caused some unintended grief :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, I've learned at the feet of the figure master Mr Day, and binned it. No point in continuing, it would never make a model that even I'd be satisfied with, and I'm not fussy. So, it looks like the Wildcat is up next.
Pete

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Pete - I have two, possibly three, similar to this that I picked up once at War and Peace show in Kent many moons ago

M60 and a Merkava and possibly a T72

Turret down to lower hull, not bad and could probably be made into something ok’ish

They all share the same lower hull, wheels, tracks and motors - all generic toy parts that have no place on any of the tanks

They make good loft insulation but that is about it

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Probably not flame retardent enough for loft insulation Simon!
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh come on Pete, make it into a wreak:smiling:. Great fun for practice of rust and burn out !
If you'd built some of the :poop: I have you can have loads of fun, and swearing is free too .

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
No, I don't think it's even good enough for a wreck John. Besides, I leave dioramas to clever bugg people like you.
Pete

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
No, I don't think it's even good enough for a wreck John. Besides, I leave dioramas to clever bugg people like you.
Pete
Well each to their own, think you would have done it proud .Failing that there was always Fire !

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Well, I'm sure you're right Ron, but probably not this one. I'm already regretting starting it. There is some reasonable detail, but the fit is terrible. The plastic is horrible, being too soft to sand well yet brittle. The gun barrel just fell apart while I was trying to get it to look circular rather than rectangular.
Maybe it could be made into a good model, but I don't think it would justify the amount of work needed, it's never going to be very good.

I think I'll just glue all the parts together in more-or-less the right place, then use it as a paint mule, or just throw it away.
Pete :crying:

That's a shame Pete. but I fully understand your reasoning. There is a limit to making a sow's ear out of a pile of cr**....or summat like that anyway!