Pete's 1/72 Airfix Spitfire (Starter set GB Part 2)

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
For Part 2 of the GB I'm doing another Spitfire, a later boxing with the paints and brush inside the box. The paints have been set aside for donation to a good cause (Ron!) but the brush will be kept for weathering, or Microsol.
There seems to be a bit more flash on this one, as well as a couple of ejector marks in the cockpit:P1150012.JPGP1150013.JPGP1150014.JPGP1150015.JPG
Fuselage and upper wings have had a squirt of Hataka interior grey-green. I'll paint the rear part of the fuselage interior aluminium tomorrow.
P1150016.JPG
Cheers
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Already out with the airbrush.
There seems to be a bit more flash on this one, as well as a couple of ejector marks in the cockpit:
Do you think the moulds are getting older and more worn?
Looking forward to the comparison with Spitfire part 1.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Probably Jim, that would explain the ejector marks, but shouldn't really result in more flash.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Haven't had much modelling time, but have cleaned up some of the cockpit parts. It seems the interior of the u/c bays could be aluminium, interior grey-green, or sky, but I've chosen aluminium, partly because I needed some for the rear fuselage. The bays might change to sky later - depends if my mojo is up to masking them! The oleo legs were painted aluminium on the real thing.
I used Vallejo 71.062, which sprayed nicely straight from the bottle at about 20 psi.
P1150017.JPG
More tomorrow I hope.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I was aware of the problems with the cockpit from the previous build, so this one went together better. I still had to bend the pedals down a bit so the pilot could fit in though.
P1150020.JPG
I need to do a bit more work on his face.

Thanks for watching.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, this one is putting up more of a struggle than the first one. Fuselage sides seem to be different sizes, and I've had to file about a millmetre off the rear of the canopy to get it to (sort of) fit. Quite a lot of filler will be needed on the fuselage seam.
P1150022.JPG

Can't seem to upload any more photos for some reason!
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Strange that the fuselage halves are a worse fit than the first kit. You did say at the start that there was more flash and ejector marks. Tired moulds maybe?
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Jim, I suspect poor control of contracted out moulding. I think the canopy is different as well - this one is very thick, I don't remember the first one being so thick.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The struggle continues! Canopy needed a lot of sanding to fit at all, and is wider than the fuselage. To increase my frustration, I couldn't find my Gator's Grip, so had to fit the canopy with Contacta Clear. There's a gap on one side, which I've filled with PPP. Some of the seam has been filled with PPP and has had a coat of Mr Surfacer 1000. When that's dry I need to mask the canopy, add a few more little details like the tail(!) and apply a coat of primer so I can see how much more filling/sanding/filling/sanding etc will be necessary.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Masking done, primer applied:
P1150023.JPG
The engine cowling needs a bit more work. I've taken a couple more photos, but can't upload them. Seems to be a problem since the server move. I'll try adding them in another post.

This is Halfords rattle can primer, first time I've used it on a model. Seems to have worked well.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Another try with the image:

Nope, no luck. I get this: 339761

Pete

First Name
Stuart
Hi Peter
Had the same problem myself, as i was using attach files button for photos - then I used the attach picture icon next to the smiley one and it uploaded fine HTH

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Stu - "Insert Image" worked. John is aware of the photo upload problem and is moving back to the previous host, so we should be OK in a few days.
Anyway, you can just about see the dodgy seam over the engine. I didn't get a good photo of the problem under the engine, where the sprue gate on both fuselage halves is at the bottom of a 'dimple', as if the plastic has shrunk around the gate.
Nearly done though, looking forward to getting some colour on. Researching this Spitfire, it was damaged in combat in 1940 then written off when crash landed, so it wouldn't have had the yellow leading edge or the Sky tail stripe, so less masking needed.:cool:

Thanks for watching.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Underside is Sky-ed and masked, Dark earth on the upper surfaces:
P1150028.JPG
I was happily spraying the Dark Earth when I noticed I'd forgotten to mask the underside of the tail planes! That'll need a touch-up later!
Paints are Hataka Red Line acrylics by the way.

Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good Pete.

Very strange the trouble you are having with bits and pieces not fitting.
I'm doing the Airfix 'In the box paints' Spitfire myself and the fit is o.k. - Once I'd nipped off all the locating thingies that is!

Cheers.
Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Ron, yes, it is strange, as the first one fitted well, apart from the trouble with the locating pins, which as you say need cutting off.
I drilled the holes out on this one.
I'm letting the paint cure overnight before masking for the Dark Green.
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry Pete.
I've just realised I'm making the one with the paints etc. outside the box on the flap. I wonder if that is the difference in fit/ quality? i.e mould age.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Strange, my reply to Ron seems to have disappeared! I don't think mould age would cause these problems, perhaps they contracted out the moulding to some company that wasn't careful with the temperatures and pressures.
Started masking for the camo, but got bored, so did the rest freehand with a brush.
P1150031.JPGP1150032.JPG
All was looking good - until I removed the masking, and found the thinned paint had crept under the tape in several places, helped perhaps by the rather deep panel lines on this kit. The moral is, either mask completely and airbrush, or if using hairy sticks don't mask! I'll touch up the creepage with a brush I think.
Wheels are now on, more pics tomorrow when the camera battery has charged.
Pete