Pete
Thanks John, it is a bit small!
At the opticians at the moment having a problem checked out ☹️
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Sorry for the lack of updates! I've been a bit tied up with some jeanio geniea family history research for a friend, and haven't done much modelling.
There has been some progress on the Mustang though:
P1150415.JPGP1150416.JPG
I've decided to brush paint it, for no particular reason except it saves going downstairs to the garage. The bright aluminium will be fun!
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Sorry for the lack of updates folks. As well as the family history project for a friend, I've been looking at editing a book which a recently-deceased friend was trying to publish, and I thought I'd try to get it publication-ready. Sadly I don't think it will work. Also had a couple of health issues to sort out!
For some reason the brushed Vallejo Aluminium paint hadn't hardened, so I airbrushed another coat over it, which seems to have hardened. The olive drab anti-glare panel and the red rudder have been brush-painted - I think the rudder will need another coat though.
P1150433.JPG
The white ring around the nose will need a touch up but I think I'll do that after the decals, there's a red flash that separates the olive drab from the white, so that should improve it a bit. The airbrushed aluminium looks OK in the photo but isn't so good in reality, as I had a problem with the airbrush and applied too much paint! Also at some point I'd knocked off the radio aerial, so had to file down a bit of sprue to replace it. With a bit of luck the decals can be applied tomorrow, then the wheels and prop can be fitted.
Hopefully I can make steadier progress on the next kit, which will probably be the Airfix Operation Herrick Jackal to go with my Warrior. All the same colour, and an AFV so most of my mistakes can be covered by weathering!
Thanks for looking in.
Pete

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Also at some point I'd knocked off the radio aerial
Well I've never heard of anyone in the history of modelling doing that before...…………...But apart from that most unusual mishap, things are looking nice. It will soon be standing on its wheels, that's always a bit of a milestone in the build for me.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes, who'd have thought that an aerial could be fragile?
Wheels next I think, then decals. If I get time that is - just been asked to do another family history project!
Pete

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
The carpet monster in my model room would look like a Porcupine with all the Ariel antennas I’ve broken and lost

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It will soon be standing on its wheels, that's always a bit of a milestone in the build for me.
Just for you then Colin:
P1150436.JPG
Those gear bay doors were a pain - they're moulded as a single piece for each bay, that you have to cut in two. Front:
P1150434.JPG
And rear:
P1150435.JPG
Sorry, too small for the camera to focus on. Touchups later, clear tomorrow!
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, the family history is still distracting me, but I've managed to get most of the decals on. The Red flash between the white 'chin' and the aluminium fuselage wasn't quite the shape I expected when I painted the white so that'll need touching up.
P1150437.JPGP1150438.JPG
Still have to fit the front cowl and the prop of course but I'll let the decals on the prop dry off a bit more first. I'm not happy with the paint at all, but luckily the decals distract attention from the paintwork!
Thanks for watching.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Paul, it looks good from a distance. In the dark. If you're shortsighted.
Anyway, I'm calling it finished:
P1150439.JPG
Those red flashes that separate the aluminium from the white just wouldn't wrap around the wing root properly - seem from underneath one was a lot further forward than the other. After trying unsuccessfully for some hours to get them aligned, I gave up and just overpainted them with white!
I'll put some more photos up on a c'completed' thread.
Thanks for watching.
Pete

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Well done Pete:thumb2:
Think you’ve made a nice job of the paintwork....cracking job:smiling4: