Pete's BAE Warrior

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Something a little larger than the Stummel, to give my aged eyes a rest! Airfix 1/48 BAE Warrior, the op Herrick version. Bought at the recent Coventry IPMS show for a tenner.
P1150243.JPGP1150244.JPG
Rather a lot of plastic - 257 parts. Should keep me busy for a while.
Off to wash the sprues now.
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Lots of parts for a 1/48 kit. That slat armour will be fun to do :rolling:
Jim

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Evening Pete, this was the only one I haven't built in their gulf war vehicles, I'll join the growing mob

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Welcome Jim, Paul and Mick, plenty of room! You'll have to bring your own biccies though!
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Moulding seems pretty good - not much flash, but the little bit there is, is of course on really thin parts that'll be tricky to clean up.
P1150247.JPG
With 'bargain' second hand kits, there's always a risk of missing or broken parts. The sprues were in a sealed bag, but this part was loose:
P1150245.JPG
Should be easy enough to identify, when the time comes to fit it!
One part is broken:
P1150246.JPG
That might be more of a problem.
I was going to post that I'd found the first poor fit already, as the bit at the bottom of the seat backrest didn't fit into the hole at the back of the seat base... then I realised I'd sanded the locating pin off thinking it was part of the sprue gate! :rolling: There seems to be quite a detailed interior, none of which will be visible when the model is completed. I might be able to leave a hatch open - anyone know what colours the interior should be?
I've labelled the sprues to make life a little easier:
P1150249.JPG
I knew those Post-it file tabs would be useful some day!
Thanks for watching.
Pete

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That's a lot of kit for a tenner! Looking forward to seeing this one coming together . Good luck

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
this part was loose:
View attachment 350859
Should be easy enough to identify, when the time comes to fit it!
Hint: it goes onto the front of the turret and the gun barrel sticks out of the front of it :smiling3:

There seems to be quite a detailed interior
That kind of surprises me. Academy’s 1:35 scale Warrior doesn’t have that feature.

none of which will be visible when the model is completed. I might be able to leave a hatch open
The hatches in the rear deck should afford a good view of the interior, especially if you also leave open the big door in the hull rear.

anyone know what colours the interior should be?
Not off the top of my head, but I suspect it’s pale green.

A bit of searching turns up this photo:

modukr-warrior-int1.jpg

Found on a site where someone else also built this kit. It looks like the interior is a medium shade of military green, with bare metal anti skid plates on the floor, a lighter (grey?) colour behind the seat backs, and olive drab and black for various major parts.

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Jakko.
Hint: it goes onto the front of the turret and the gun barrel sticks out of the front of it :smiling3:
Yes, that's why I said It'd be easy to identify!
The hatches in the rear deck should afford a good view of the interior, especially if you also leave open the big door in the hull rear.
What was I thinking? Of course I can leave some hatches open! The driver has a seat but no controls or instruments, so I'll leave the driver's hatch closed, but the rear doors and possibly the turret hatches will be open.
I found that same photo after I'd posted the question. I think the floor plates are painted green but the paint has worn off on the chequering. Airfix suggest khaki drab for the seat frames and floor, dark green for the seats, US Ghost Grey for the rest of the interior, Desert Tan for the main exterior colour. There doesn't seem to be any equivalent to the latter, so I might have to try airbrushing Humbrol acrylic - wish me luck!
Pete,

Loads of piccies & ideas here:-

Warrior

HTH,

Paul.
:smiling3:
Great link, some useful stuff there, thanks Paul.
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I shall join the crowd , bit modern for me so will sit at the back and watch .

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well the Humbrol Desert Tan is discontinued, so I'll be using Tamiya paints. Had to buy a couple that I was missing, but since I bought them it's been too hot to paint, and I can't do much else until I get the paint on the interior.
Pete

• Sad

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
As usual, I didn't plan ahead - started sticking the seats in before I realised I should have painted the hull interior first, then used the wrong colours! So, after a bit of brush painting, this is where I've got to:
P1150256.JPG
I dry brushed some aluminium on the floor, then splashed some washes about while access is still good. I'll be leaving the fron hatches closed, as Airfix give the driver a seat but no controls or instruments.
I'm not completely happy with the fit of the back panel, but it'll have to do.
P1150257.JPG
Next is the turret basket.
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think the floor pan looks good Pete, suitably dirty and not over done.
I thought I was the only one to rush in and then find I should have done something else first, but it makes it more interesting:flushed::smiling2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its too hot to work out what comes first - glueing or painting. Looks like its all heading in the right direction.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Just a little more done:
P1150266.JPG
Airfix have kindly provided an assembly jig - that angle bracket you can see holding the 4th suspension arm along - so they should all end up at the same height, so the wheels should all sit on the ground. Wheels have been cleaned up ready for painting. I might brush-paint them, or perhaps airbrush the black rubber tyres then brush the wheel centres. I need to decide how to paint the tracks, the instructions suggest adding the inner halves of the wheels, then gluing the link & length tracks in place, then adding the outer halves of the wheels, but the tracks will need to be painted first. I'm not sure how much of the track colour in the walkaround that Paul linked to ( http://www.primeportal.net/apc/warriors.htm ) is due to desert camo paint and how much to the natural colour of the steel, so will have to look at various online sources.

Thanks for looking in
Pete