Pete's BAE Warrior

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
But is it really authentic Laurie, being so much overscale? I'd have done the same as you, if I'd been doing a Herrick dio, on the basis that they had bar armour in Afghanistan, so it has to be on the model, even if crudely represented.
Pete

D

Deleted member 5496

Probably more authentic as with out the Armour totally un-authentic.

Just a total screw up by Airfix on a great model. great to build. As are
all the Herrick models.

Look forward to seeing yours "sans" armour. Nice discussion Pete
Laurie

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, armour or not, it needs tracks:
P1150315.JPG
Done!
As are those pesky turret hatches:
P1150316.JPG
Now there are lots of little bits to add on the hull, some of which are built up as subassemblies:
P1150317.JPG
While some just need gluing on.
P1150318.JPG
It's good to make some progress!
I can always add the bar armour later if I change my mind... just wondering if anyone makes grating for ships or model railways, that would be better than the Airfix parts.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Steve. Been a bit distracted by other things for a few days but I'll have to get on with this soon.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, I haven't found any gratings that would be suitable for the bar armour. I did have a play with some brass shim, and I think I could make something more to scale, but it'd take me well into next year at the rate I work! I think I might use the overscale Airfix armour after all.
Anyway, I've been plodding on - I'm not good at planning which parts to paint before assembly, so it's been a matter of painting a bit, then gluing a bit...
Here's some progress photos:
P1150319.JPGP1150320.JPGP1150321.JPG
Next up are the front lights and their protective guards, and the tools, which will be painted before fitting. I've been brush painting, but I think it's going to need a final coat from the airbrush, as the paint (Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow) seems to dry a slightly different colour depending on how thickly it goes on.
Thanks for looking in,
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
A few more tiny steps...
I thought these guards would be a paint to clean up when I saw the attachment points, but they weren't too bad.
P1150322.JPGP1150323.JPG
I guess I should have filled those sink holes in the headlamps before fitting the guards though!
P1150325.JPG
I've taken the driver's hatch off as I had it open too far.
Pete

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Pete,
Looking good mate, to fill the holes in the lights stand the vehicle up the place a drop of PVA on each of the lenses this should fill the hole and leave them slightly domed.

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work Pete. Sink marks are the bane of my life at the moment on the Bison build. Looks like some good advice from Scottie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I'm not good at planning which parts to paint before assembly,
Glad I'm not the only one. I can think about it until I get a headache and I still get it wrong :anguished:
Warrior is looking good and that was a clever idea from Scottie - I'll make a note of that :thumb2:
I too have noticed that some paints do look a different colour when brush painted from airbrushing. Makes touching up a pain.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Coming on Pete.
I'm another that forgets to paint something at the right time or when they are painted, removing the other paint to fit the new part I end up messing it all up .

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Some reviewers of this kit have mentioned that the decals for the fire extinguishers wouldn't conform, so I thought I'd better get those done. They needed quite a long soak, then put them down on a blob of Microset. Left them a few minutes and they started to settle, then a good dose of Microsol got them nice and snug. Gave them a second drop of Sol to make sure, then a coat of Klear.
P1150326.JPGP1150327.JPG
Quite pleased with those, I think it's little details like this that bring models to life.
Added a few more parts that I should have painted first:
P1150328.JPG
Still trying to avoid that bar armour...
Pete

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, I decided to use the bar armour after all. Leaving it off would have needed several other mods, and the bar armour was an essential part of the Herrick configuration, so on it went. A couple of the decals have to be fitted before the bar armour, so they're on - stupidly I then lost the remaing 3 decals, so they're missing! Just the rear regisration plate, and a unit badge each side of the turret, which wouldn't be visible anyway.
P1150344.JPG
Will put some more in the Completed Armour section.
Thanks for watching
Pete