Pete's BAE Warrior

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Airbrush the wheels and then paint the tyres by hand; you can touch up the rims with a brush if necessary (you’ll probably get some tyre-coloured paint on them — at least if you’re anything like me :smiling3:). I’d leave both the wheels and tracks off until after painting, then add the wheels and once dry, assemble the track onto the wheels.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Jakko, that's the way I usually do tank wheels, but there's no defined rim on these wheels, so I might try spraying the black then using a circle template to spray the wheels.
Yes, I'll leave fitting them until as late as possible, but they'll have to go on before the bar armour.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
While pondering the wheels and tracks, I thought I'd make a start on the turret, which some reviewers have described as 'a kit in itself'. I wouldn't go that far, but perhaps they had the optional PE set, which seems to be out of stock everywhere in the UK, and I'm not going to pay postage from abroad for add-ons to a £10 kit! Here's the progress so far:
P1150267.JPG
The seats need another coat of dark green, but there's quite a bit of detail in there.
The Warrior has a sort of curtain inside just behind the turret. Not being a military person, I don't know if that's like the curtains that airliners have to stop the riff-raff in the back from spotting the luxuries provided to the Business Class passengers up front, or perhaps it's to protect the troops in the back from the noise of the gun or summat. Anyway, it has a number of stowage satchels attached to it.
P1150269.JPG
P1150272.JPG
Sorry, I couldn't get the camera to focus on the curtain, but you can just make it out. I picked out the buckles on the satchel straps with a marker pen, and gave it a coat of dust wash.
I'm off to the Prescott Speed Hill Climb on Sunday, so I expect to have to do domestic things tomorrow to avoid incurring the wrath of SWMBO.
Pete

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m not 100% certain what the curtain is for, but I can think of a number of likely reasons for it. Keeping stray light in is one (you don’t want the turret interior lights shining out the back door when the passengers exit the vehicle, for example), or it might be to delay fire spreading, or be made of ballistic cloth to protect against splinters or spalling. Or any combination of the above, or other reasons, of course :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
As expected, I've had to atone for my sins by doing sme gardening and other 1:1 stuff, but when time and SWMBO permit I've been slowly adding to the turret. Unlike the main floor, which is smooth, Airfix have moulded a chequer plate pattern on the turret floor, so I painted it the appropriate green then gave it a dry brushing with aluminium, then a sandy wash. All rather pointless as you can't see much inside there. Here it is before fitting (temporarily) to the hull:P1150273.JPGP1150279.JPG
Fitted to the hull though, you can't see much:P1150275.JPGP1150276.JPGP1150277.JPG
Hardly seems worth leaving the turret hatches open.
I'm about half-way through gluing fiddly bits on the outside of the turret - how many of them survive without being knocked off is anybody's guess!
Cheers
Pete

D

Deleted member 7181

I like the effect on that floor. Like you say, shame it can hardly be seen

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Looking good Pete.
As for them wheels- vehicles sent out often got a rushed respray in desert colours and overspray is often (usually?) seen on the tyres.
Jon.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks chaps. Jon, yes, I've noticed that, as in the link that Paul (prichrd1) posted, so I'm thinking black first, then sand colour through a circle template.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I like the effect on that floor. Like you say, shame it can hardly be seen
Even more of a shame that Airfix didn't put that texture on the rear floor, where it could've been seen! Of course they might not have sold so many of their PE set then. If I'd thought more before rushing in, I bet I could have found some embossed foil I could've used - fag packet paper, or the foil from a pack of butter perhaps. Too late now the seats are in though.
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Pete nice work so far im following the build an im just askin here but will this lovely model just get put in a box when finished ? if so seems a shame that it wont be seen chris

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Chris - it'll go in a box in the attic, or possibly on ebay. I'm not really interested in displaying finished models, and don't have the space anyway.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Sorry folks, I haven't been keeping up with the posting, and haven't done much to the kit either. I've got the wheels looking pretty much as I wanted:
P1150282.JPG
I was going to airbrush some sand colour on the inside of those return rollers, but decided to brush them instead, as it was too difficult to line the little devils up with the circle template.
I've now glued the upper and lower hulls together:
P1150283.JPG
Not a perfect fit, but acceptable.
I'm thinking of leaving the turret hatches open, but Airfix have put a great big ejector mark right in the centre of each.
P1150284.JPG
A couple of blobs of PPP in there, smoothed off with a wet cotton bus as they're in the middle of the padding.
Also added some more of the sticky-out bits to the turret.
P1150285.JPG
Next up is the bar armour, which is horribly overscale, but there's not much I can do about that. You can see a couple of sections of it in the photo of the hull - those have been thinned quite a lot. There once was a time when I'd have remade them from brass strip and rod, but I haven't the eyesight or dexterity these days...

If anyone's still watching, thanks for your patience!
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'm struggling to work out the best assembly sequence, so have put the turret aside for a while and returned to the instructions, which suggest adding the tracks and wheels. That means the lower hull needs painting, which I've decided to do with a brush, to save masking. Here it is after two thinned coats:
P1150297.JPG
I think that'll do for the area behind the wheels. The rest can have another coat next time I'm using that colour.
Started painting the tracks:
P1150296.JPG
The metallic brownish colour is a mixture of Revell's steel, rust, and ochre. Next job is to paint all those rubber track pads - wondering if it's worthwhile making a template and airbrushing them, or just plod on with a hairy stick.
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
You are certainly getting your £10 worth out of this. You can't see much inside but you know its there. Rather too many wheels for my liking :tongue-out3: Good luck with the armour - it looks fiddly.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Jim. The armour isn't so much fiddly, as just wrong! The bars scale to about 60 mm square at full size, whereas they should be flat bars that look to be about 50 mm wide but only 10 mm or less thick - see here https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-warrior-wcsp-40mm-turret-bovington-72020949.html
The box art is similar to the link above, but the kit parts are overscale in thickness as well as having too few bars.
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Pete .
Sorry if I haven't commented recently.
Very annoying to find that some of the armour us wrong, easp as the model is looking good.
Makes me wonder where some of these designers find their information.
As to PE, much is made of it and some people work wonders, but if half of it is never to be seen why the struggle.
I like it for grill mesh, large items, but as to small turn buckles, that's a step to far

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks John, no need to apologise - I haven't done much for anyone to comment on! You have to remember that Airfix had a PE set to go with this kit, which included the bar armour. It might have looked better if I could have found it for sale, but would probably have been too flat. What it needs to be realistic would be brass strip laying horizontal, with thin wire verticals. Do-able by someone with the dexterity, but I'll stick with the kit parts, which will give a suggestion of the real thing. They'd look better if filed down thinner, but then there would be too few bars leaving big gaps in between. Another alternative would be to leave it off altogether, as most Warriors don't seem to have had the bar armour. I can make a decision on that later in the build though, as it'll need painting and decalling before the bar armour is fitted, so I'll see how it looks without but clean up and paint the armour anyway.
Pete