Pete's Build the Hms Victory

C

cryton 5

well hello ship mate
a lovely bit of work , all credit too you i can only hope my victory will look as good ? it's certainly throwing it at me , new venture and all that x

C

cryton 5

hi peter
thanks for spur on but you far more near finished then me still steady and sure more on cannon's etc last night and tidy up cryton

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
P1030255.JPG P1030256.JPG P1030257.JPG P1030258.JPG P1030259.JPG P1030260.JPG I thought I would give an update as I found a bit of time to finish off the starboard lower ratlines even one half of a small one took me 2 and a half hours to do so I don't think I will completing for another couple of years I have been on this on for five already.

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I have collected all the magazines for this one but not done anything with it yet one thing I would sayis get into a display cabinet as dust is a real killer on these old ships because of the complexity of rigging and general deck clutter cannons etc it makes it virtualy imposible to keep them from decaying due to dust build up and when you do try to dust something either comes unstuck or unravels I know from experience see attached picture of my 100th scale heller Victory slowly decaying which is why I collected the magazines with a view to replacing the model that was about 10 years ago by the way your doing a great job on this

Regards

Colin

Attachments

• IMG_5145.JPG
    IMG_5145.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 26

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Time to drag this one off the shelf for some more work and what I have done today is to start on a makeover of the stern witch involves taking everything off cleaning up and treating it to an airbrush I have done the starboard side and finished the ratines don't lower port side mizzenmast.
And included are a before and afterP1040019.JPG P1040022.JPG P1040020.JPG P1040021.JPG P1040023.JPG

C

cryton 5

Hi peter .
A question first maybe you can suggest I,am working on my yard masks at moment part broke and excuse explanation as my concentration is a little there are bits that hold mask on top at the end of spur both have broken with little effort when attaching now mask is floating at end of mask I hope I've explained properly .cry

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Hi peter .
A question first maybe you can suggest I,am working on my yard masks at moment part broke and excuse explanation as my concentration is a little there are bits that hold mask on top at the end of spur both have broken with little effort when attaching now mask is floating at end of mask I hope I've explained properly .cry
Have you any pics?

D

Deleted member 4203

Looks fantastic; I like how much work you've put in to even the tiniest of details :smiling2::thumb2:

C

cryton 5

Have you any pics?
Below pic so far ,at the end of spur you have to put like a brass attachment to hold above mask I hope that explains as best no worry's I'll tie of in some way second of two went OK although in had to be more careful as any pressure and part breaks .
IMG_20180403_000921.jpg

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Time to add a little more this time I have had a go at building a spare cannon and it's certainly better than the first attempt.20190510_091129.jpg20190510_112637.jpg20190510_113952.jpg20190510_114016.jpg20190510_123149.jpg20190510_123832.jpg20190510_124846.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Great work so far Peter.

I'm looking to start my first sailing ship and I already need a little help. I've got some thread for the rigging but I'm not sure if I've got enough. I'm sure I'll be wasting a lot being just a beginner so I want to buy more. I've been in touch with the company I bought the kit from and had no reply. What material have you used for yours?

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Great work so far Peter.

I'm looking to start my first sailing ship and I already need a little help. I've got some thread for the rigging but I'm not sure if I've got enough. I'm sure I'll be wasting a lot being just a beginner so I want to buy more. I've been in touch with the company I bought the kit from and had no reply. What material have you used for yours?
Normally the kits I have already have the rigging included but I find sewing thread works fine

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Normally the kits I have already have the rigging included but I find sewing thread works fine

Sorry Pete, my bad, I didn't express myself very well. I was trying to find what actual material you use. Sewing thread is a general term covering threads made from cotton, nylon, polyester, hemp etc. etc. Some of these are fuzzy and some too stiff to use without a lot of tension to keep them straight.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
d
Sorry Pete, my bad, I didn't express myself very well. I was trying to find what actual material you use. Sewing thread is a general term covering threads made from cotton, nylon, polyester, hemp etc. etc. Some of these are fuzzy and some too stiff to use without a lot of tension to keep them straight.
May I ask which kit you are building as I have buckets of spare rigging thread that you can have depending on your needs as what material I have never looked into it as all my kits have it supplied with the kit.