Pete's Cromwell Airfix 1/76

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, the garage is occupied by a 1:1 project for Management, so I can't do any airbrushing, but I've made a start on my Cromwell. Here's the box shots:
P1140701.JPGP1140702.JPG
Skill level 1, so I should be able to manage. Two sprues, with pretty good detail, and nearly flash-free:
P1140703.JPGP1140704.JPG
A couple of oversize sprue gates on the drive sprockets though.
P1140707.JPG
Luckily those two go next to the hull, so won't be seen much, but they're going to be a challenge to clean up.
Anyway, construction starts with the hull.
P1140705.JPGI realised that when the outer sides are added it would be impossible to paint the suspension, so I slopped some thin paint on with a brush:
P1140706.JPG
They don't look quite that bad in real life! Then on with hull assembly, ending like this:
P1140708.JPGP1140709.JPG
I'm sure I built one of these in the 60s, and the tracks were 'rubber band' types, but these are single piece mouldings. Airfix would have you paint them a 'gunmetal' colour, but I think they should be more brownish to represent manganese steel. I might mix some brown with the 53 supplied, and see how it comes out. I don't think I can add the tracks after the mudguards have been fitted, so the painting sequence will need a bit of thought.
That's it for now, thanks for watching.

Pete

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
will watch with interest as this is on my list of 'maybes' for the starter kit GB

i think this is the 'new tool' kit as it has the moulded tracks but i remember building the rubber band tracked one many many moons ago back when you did

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Talk about quick off the mark, I haven't even got mine out of the plastic bag yet! Yes, the paint sequence will need thought, painting the running gear first & masking off before the upper hull & track guards was an idea for mine, but not without problems.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hi Graeme, problems as in how do you get the masking off? I'm wondering if the track guards can be painted separately and added later.

Pete

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I will take a pew if I may Peter. I too will be interested in how you tackle the painting on this one. Good luck

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hi Steve, and welcome - make sure your pew has a good cushion on it, it'll be a while before I can finish the 'real life' work and get the airbrush out again!

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've added some more parts to the hull:
P1140715.JPGP1140716.JPGP1140717.JPGP1140718.JPGincluding 6 of those tiny towing shackles. I've come across a few problems: the main gun barrel isn't circular in cross-section, but is 'flattened' on the sides, even before sanding the mould lines. I've run a bead of Mr Surfacer down each side and will sand that when it's hardened.
P1140713.JPGYou can just about see that the side facing the camera is rather flat. A periscope (or is it a ventilator?), part numer 6, has a sink mark on top, easily fixed with a blob of Mr S again:
P1140714.JPG
Now for the bigger problem. The turret. It's twisted.
P1140711.JPGP1140712.JPG
I managed to fit the base of the turret by gluing one side at a time, but it's still distorted so the rear panel doesn't fit properly. I'll have to cobble up some kind of clamping arrangement to force it into shape.

Pete

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great start and I’ll be looking on too Pete.
Good luck with the twisted turret.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Pete
I made this a little while ago, and you’re right, you cannot get the tracks on the wheels if you put the track guard sides on first (at least, I couldn’t). I painted the tracks, wheels and hull first, painted the sides, added them, then masked it up and touch-up painted the top....bit of a faff really...might be easier if you are brush painting though.
Yours is coming on well, pity about the turret....good luck with the rest....

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Bummer about the turret. Hopefully it should straighten out okay.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Its not a bad little kit, built mine straight oob and it looks ok, keep going Pete you can sort it.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks for the encouragement folks. I think I'd have done better to have tried to straighten the turret before fixing the base, but I'd assumed that fixing the base would straighten it. The turret roof was sagging, so I've made a spacer from a bit of sprue to wedge it upwards.
P1140719.JPGP1140720.JPG
When that's had a chance to set, I'll have to file the turret sides quite a lot, but there are plates to fit on the outside, so they'll cover the file marks!

Might be able to get the airbrush back into action later in the week...

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
A bit more progress:
P1140721.JPGP1140722.JPG
The joints are a bit prominent, but they are on the real ones as well, so I'm not worried. I've added the spotlight to the LH side of the turret, and I think that's about all I can do until I can finish SWMBO's shelves and get the garage back ready for airbrushing.

Thanks for watching,
Pete

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The turret is nicely fixed Peter, your gun barrel looks better than mine, which was slightly misaligned.