Pete's Lancaster Bomber

• Thread starter Deleted member 5819
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5819

Hi I'll shell be building this British IconThe Lancaster Bomer.

Box Art.

Parts.

The Avro Lancaster is a British four-engined Second World War heavy bomber. It was designed and manufactured by Avro as a contemporary of the Handley Page Halifax, both bombers having been developed to the same specification, as well as the Short Stirling, all three aircraft being four-engined heavy bombers adopted by the Royal Air Force (RAF) during the same wartime era.

The Lancaster has its origins in the twin-engine Avro Manchester which had been developed during the late 1930s in response to the Air Ministry Specification P.13/36 for a capable medium bomber for "world-wide use". Originally developed as an evolution of the Manchester (which had proved troublesome in service and was retired in 1942), the Lancaster was designed by Roy Chadwick and powered by four Rolls-Royce Merlins and in one version, Bristol Hercules engines. It first saw service with RAF Bomber Command in 1942 and as the strategic bombing offensive over Europe gathered momentum, it was the main aircraft for the night-time bombing campaigns that followed. As increasing numbers of the type were produced, it became the principal heavy bomber used by the RAF, the RCAF and squadrons from other Commonwealth and European countries serving within the RAF, overshadowing contemporaries such as the Halifax and Stirling.

A long, unobstructed bomb bay meant that the Lancaster could take the largest bombs used by the RAF, including the 4,000 lb (1,800 kg), 8,000 lb (3,600 kg) and 12,000 lb (5,400 kg) blockbusters, loads often supplemented with smaller bombs or incendiaries. The "Lanc", as it was affectionately known, became one of the more famous and most successful of the Second World War night bombers, "delivering 608,612 long tons of bombs in 156,000 sorties".The versatility of the Lancaster was such that it was chosen to equip 617 Squadron and was modified to carry the Upkeep "Bouncing bomb" designed by Barnes Wallis for Operation Chastise, the attack on German Ruhr valleydams. Although the Lancaster was primarily a night bomber, it excelled in many other roles, including daylight precision bombing, for which some Lancasters were adapted to carry the 12,000 lb (5,400 kg) Tallboy and then the 22,000 lb (10,000 kg) Grand Slam earthquake bombs(also designed by Wallis). This was the largest payload of any bomber in the war.

In 1943, a Lancaster was converted to become an engine test bed for the Metropolitan-Vickers F.2 turbojet. Lancasters were later used to test other engines, including the Armstrong Siddeley Mamba and Rolls-Royce Dart turboprops and the Avro Canada Orenda and STAL Dovern turbojets. Postwar, the Lancaster was supplanted as the main strategic bomber of the RAF by the Avro Lincoln, a larger version of the Lancaster. The Lancaster took on the role of long range anti-submarine patrol aircraft (later supplanted by the Avro Shackleton) and air-sea rescue. It was also used for photo-reconnaissance and aerial mapping, as a flying tanker for aerial refuelling and as the Avro Lancastrian, a long-range, high-speed, transatlantic passenger and postal delivery airliner. In March 1946, a Lancastrian of BSAA flew the first scheduled flight from the new London Heathrow Airport.

Pete.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Built this one last year Pete, but I know your going to make changes. Looking forward to it and the start of the GB.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Definitely will follow this Pete.
John.

D

Deleted member 5819

Built this one last year Pete, but I know your going to make changes. Looking forward to it and the start of the GB.
Hi Ian I might make some :thinking: If you don't mine could you please put your build link on here.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi I've started by drilling out the exhausts mainfolds.

Cleaned up suspension legs/wheels, propellers and spinners and fitted rear location pin.

I will be using this great book the references for this build.

Thank you for looking in.
Pete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
You certainly don't hang about. Nice start.
Jim

A

Armorguy

I need this build log to tackle a Lanc too ! It'll look da bomb(er) !

D

Deleted member 5819

For ref use.

1549101256121-png.328332

How the lamps work
The altimeter in the Lancaster was useless at low levels and could not give the height of the plane to the precise height of 150 feet (later 60 feet) that was required for a successful Upkeep launch.

This problem was solved by the Ro

Too low and the lamps will not meet. Too high and they will pass each other and shine appart again. At the correct height though, the two lamps meet on the surface of the lake water. At that time, the plane will be at exactly the correct height to release Upkeep.

Pete.

Attachments

• 1549101256121.png
    1549101256121.png
    876.8 KB · Views: 117

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice insight into how it worked with those lights Pete.
John

D

Deleted member 5819

Nice insight into how it worked with those lights Pete.
John
Hi John as you you know I like a bit of background info in my builds, I think it inportant to know how bit and pice work.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi next up date.

These are the M/G :confounded: I've cut the barrels off, drilled out and replaced with brass tube.

Added spindles, brake piies, iner strut braces to the shock absober strus.

Added rear drag stays

Added some wheel nuts.

Made up missing oil cooler air-intake.

The Bench of doom.

Thank you for looking in all comments welcome good or bad, if you think I've missed anything or can improve please say.
Pete. :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Nothing wrong with that Pete, I finally get to unbox my U-Boat tomorrow for the build.