Pete's M26 Pershing U.S Heavy Tank.

• Thread starter Deleted member 5819
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5819

Hi this just oneof the models I'll will be building for this GB the M26 Pershing .

Box Art.

Parts.

The M26 Pershing was a heavy tank /medium tank of the United States Army. The tank was named after General of the Armies John J. Pershing, who led the American Expeditionary Force in Europe in World War I. It was briefly used in the final months of World War II during the Invasion of Germany and extensively during the Korean War.

Intended as a replacement of the M4 Sherman, the prolonged time of development meant that only a small number saw combat in the European theater, most notably in the 9th Armored Division's dramatic dash to take the Ludendorff Bridge during the Battle of Remagen. Based on the criteria of firepower, mobility, and protection, R. P. Hunnicutt ranked the Pershing second, behind the German Panther medium tank, but ahead of the Tiger I heavy tank. In service during the Korean War, the M26 outmatched the T-34-85 in terms of firepower and protection, but was challenged by the hilly and muddy terrain, and as a result was withdrawn in 1951 in favor of its improved derivative, the M46 Patton, which had a considerably more powerful and reliable engine as well as an advanced and improved suspension to better meet the demands of the specific terrain it operated in. The lineage of the M26 continued with the M47 Patton, and was reflected in the new designs of the later M48 Patton and M60 Patton.

Pete.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi I will be adding a missing fuel filler cap which I have run out of, this is to thank Mike C for coming to my rescue and sending me some at very short notice, top man :thumb2:.

Pete.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Up and running. Nice extra details on the wheels.
Jim

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi could not sleep last night so got stuck in to this and because I've had the kit for over a month I've been able to see what needs doing and this what I have mange to do so far. All this work is on the upper hull and rear.

As you can see the detail is not good so removed/ replaced side track guard rivets and the guard should be in 4 section not 2, made 2 slots in the middle section.

Parts for upper hull.

Parts for rear.

Added the 2 missing front hatches and viewing ports from pewter, added right angle strips and welds to inner tarck guards, added front centre (top) air vents.

Made up missing stowage box lids, hinges, handles.

Added missing horn, made up the following parts, light plugs, top convoy lights, front track support stays, added white rod to represent panel stiffening in the track guardes, nuts/studs for the front towing mounts.

Made up and added missing parts as follows, handles for engine covers, securing strap/wing nut for jerry can, lid / mounts for phone box, rear tow rings, rear light / brush gurads, rear track support stays, added white rod to represent panle stiffening in the track guardes, tools, armoured fuel cap.

Added 4 lower towing mounts, shortend recofvery cable to fit locking tow hook/ bracket, pivots for gun barrel lock.

Thank you for looking in, next up the gun turret, night night all :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:.
all comments welcome good or bad, if you think I've missed anything or can improve please say.
Pete.

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hope you slept well Pete after this increable up grading .
You definitely take these to another level . :thumb2:
John .

D

Deleted member 5819

Hope you slept well Pete after this increable up grading .
You definitely take these to another level . :thumb2:
John .
Hi John, I did take a afternoon nap I have to confess, I'm pleased with the work I've done there hopefully more to come.
Cheers Pete.

Reactions: JR

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Super detailed ToonTank Pete.:flushed::thumb2:

Hull looks great, makes me wonder how the turret will end up….:smiling:

D

Deleted member 5819

Super detailed ToonTank Pete.:flushed::thumb2:

Hull looks great, makes me wonder how the turret will end up….:smiling:
Hi Fernando, thank most kind of you, I'll be working on the turret tomorrow so we will so find out.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi there he is the next instalment of my M26 Pershing.

I've gone back to the lower hull to up grade it, made up and fitted the suspension shock absorbers.

Thank you for looking inall comments welcome good or bad, if you think I've missed anything or can improve please say.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Amazing added details. Certainly taking this 'toon' to another level.
Jim

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi this is the finish turret.

As you can see I've made up and fitted one or two missing parts.

Replaced parts.
Cappola ring .

Missing Parts.
Made up new hinge parts for cappola hatch.
2nd hatch with springs, handle
2 front viewing ports.
Top rear lifting ring.
Gun mantlet viewing tubes.
"U" sighting bar.
M/G mount.
Side lifting ring.
Mantet weather locating strips & clips
2nd radio mount.
Rear M/G stowage rack.

Thank you for looking inall comments welcome good or bad, if you think I've missed anything or can improve please say.
Pete.

Last edited by a moderator: