Pete's M5 Stuart "Toon" Tank.

• Thread starter Deleted member 5819
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5819

Hi this will be my last Toon build it's the M5 Stuat tank, there is a awful lot wrong with one and is going to be a slow build.

Box Art.

Parts.

Instructions.

As you see the first big problem is the suspension bogie units, it doesn't look anything like the real one, a bit of
scratch building coming up I think.

Thank you for looking in.
Pete.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 5819

Hi, made a start on the bogie units, the bits marked in black will be cut off and hopfully it look like the one in the pic above.

Now to make the other one.

Pete.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 5819

Pete,
Simply super stunning scratchery
Hi Scottie thank you very much you are to kind, l'm still not in the big boys league yet l do miss the 1/35 stuff but the mess l made of the last one the Sherman with all those rockets still haunts me, I'll just keep plugging with my toys.
Pete.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pete, by the time your finished they are certainly not toys.
Could you explain what the piston did/was, may sound a silly question, but I've never seen that before .
Thanks .
John.

D

Deleted member 5819

Pete, by the time your finished they are certainly not toys.
Could you explain what the piston did/was, may sound a silly question, but I've never seen that before .
Thanks .
John.

Hi John, piston is not the right definition, inside the trailing arm tensioner housing was volute spring (like those you see on a Sherman) .
The cross/circle shaped on the end of the tensioner housing is part of the casting but was is a missing detail on the toon model.
I am going to add the track skid bracket. The bracket is a bit of an odd detail and does not seem to be fitted on all M5s it is also hard to see because it is hidden behind the track guide teeth in many photos.

Hope that answered your question.
Pete.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Certainly doing a cracking job on improving the running gear.
Jim

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi got the other trailing arm tensioner adjust made and added track skid bracket to the top of both of them, added some detail to the return rollers, made up new front drive sprocket.

I

Thank you I hope you like it.
Pete.

First Name
Michael
I'm not knocking this and I agree the scratchery is excellent but I fail to see the point of all that work on something that isn't actually a scale model. Maybe it's just me but I completely fail to see the point of these 'toon' kits especially if they need to be improved to this extent. BTW, your scratch work is way better than anything I could achieve so well done on that score.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi I know these are classed as toys by a lot of people but toon are 1/43 scale, there's quite a few people at build egg planes that do upgrade the why and some add upgrades such as pe, resin part so what's the difference to what I'm doing.
As for understanding the toon ethos I'm just feed up trying to explain it or defend it.
This will be the last post on this GB I've just had enough.
Sorry to to everyone who was following any of my work.
Pete.

First Name
Michael
It wasn't my intention to insult or decry what you do nor did I ask for an explanation of the 'toon' ethos. I didn't even describe them as toys. I simply said I don't get it. Just my opinion. I can only assume you've taken flak from others because if you've decided to throw your toys (no pun intended) out the pram over what I wrote, I'm really sorry. I wasn't having a go at you personally. As I say, I just don't get 'toons'.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi I've been thinking while I've been building, I thought sod it why should I stop posting so will be posting my builds and future builds, Toon and non Toon so if anyone doesn't like it don't look at my stuff in the future.

I forgot I had the button marked "ignore" so guess what, yes you got it I pressed it.

Update coming soon.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi got the mop & bucket out and slapped some primer and base coat on have gone for more of a yellow green this time round.

Thank you for looking in.
Pete.

R

Ranwulf

Looks awesome.

I have to make one of those lock-line bases, excellent idea!

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Randell very good of you to say so, I'm pleased you like it.
Pete.