Pete's Matchbox/Revell Skyraider

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've had this in the stash for a while:
P1150918.JPG
Definitely ex-Matchbox:

P1150919.JPGScalemates say it was originally Monogram, released in 1980.
Seems nicely detailed, but quite a bit of sinkage.
P1150920.JPGP1150921.JPGP1150922.JPG
I see filler in my future...
Here's the rest of the frames:
P1150923.JPGP1150924.JPG
And a nice decal sheet:
P1150925.JPG
Looking at the GB dates again, I won't start this just yet, as I want to make a Hurricane for the BoB GB.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Scalemates say it was originally Monogram, released in 1980.
The look of the sprues kind of makes me doubt that, if I’m honest. Those look like a Matchbox effort to me, with the angular runners.

Ah, OK, I see the confusion now. Looking at the Scalemates page for this kit, it does seem like the family tree connects it to the Monogram kit:

Matchbox Skyraider family tree.png

But the vertical lines crossing under 1988 just means that the Hasegawa kit is a reboxed Monogram one, not that the Matchbox kit descends from the Monogram one as well. The vertical line should really be given a little curved “jump” over the horizontal one, if you ask me, to make this clear.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Jakkos right pete , its definitely an original matchbox tooling, if it was 1980s monogram the cockpit tub and seats would have been a lot more detailed , plus the square sprues are a classic matchbox feature . Cheers tony

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, this might be a bit more challenging than I'd hoped! Large sprue gates, lots of 'draw on the edges of the parts, instructions sometimes a bit vague...
Here are the crew, apparently Darth Vader clones:
P1150967.JPGP1150968.JPGP1150969.JPG
They'll need a fair bit of cleaning up.
I do like this parts list in the instructions though:
P1150966.JPG
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The pilots look like scaled-up versions of the standard Matchbox modern fighter pilot. I have the Seasprite kit, and that has newly designed figures with separate arms, but apparently they didn’t go for those in this kit.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, the crew don't look so much like Darth Vader now. Sadly they don't look much like US crew either.
P1150970.JPG
I might leave them out, although if I keep them they'll partially hide the seats, which are rather basic.
While the paint was drying on the crew I started assembling the engine - why can't kit manufacturers get the two halves of each cylinder to line up properly? :angry: They were offset by about 1/2 a millimetre or more. This is after about 3 hours cleaning up.
P1150971.JPG
I'm not over impressed with this kit.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well I gave up on the clones. Even if I was any good at painting figures, the fact that they're posed identically looked stupid, and I don't have any spare 1/48 figures to mix them up a bit.
So, with the engine painted and mostly assembled:
P1150974.JPG
and the decals on the IP and control panels:
P1150972.JPG
I started gluing the fuselage halves.
P1150973.JPG
A reasonable fit, but the two halves are very flexible so I'm gluing them progressively.
Thanks for watching
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Anyone spotted the mistake yet?
Pete:rolling:

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Looks good to me Pete.

The only thing I think it could be, if I squint REEEAAALLLLYYY hard, is some of the side consoles are in grey and possibly should be black?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Pete comin on really good an i dint know they had a three aircrew in these planes
chris

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Full marks Chris (Archetype)! Yes, the top of all those consoles should be in the darker grey. I was really pleased with the way the decals settled down, until I realised that. We'll blame Revell, it's correct according to the instructions.
i dint know they had a three aircrew in these planes
Nor me Chris, it's a big old bird isn't it.
Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice progress so far.......these big birds were very intimidating to the ground crews that had to handle the taxi and parking exercises. My first experience as a Plane Captain (handler) was to direct one of these beasts around a course and then park it on a lined out parking "spot". Scared Cr*p out of me at the time.........Rick H.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Nice progress so far.......these big birds were very intimidating to the ground crews that had to handle the taxi and parking exercises. My first experience as a Plane Captain (handler) was to direct one of these beasts around a course and then park it on a lined out parking "spot". Scared Cr*p out of me at the time.........Rick H.
Which unit were you with Rick?
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I wonder where this was moulded?
P1150975.JPG
A little more progress:
P1150976.JPG
The outer wings are hinged, so they can be displayed either folded
P1150980.JPG
or extended:
P1150981.JPG
The join in the upper surface is a bit poor though, as is the fit to the fuselage:
P1150979.JPGP1150977.JPG
Difficult to show in a photo, but the circular wheel well wall on the starboard side (left in the photo above) doesn't line up with the hole in the lower wing - it's about 1.5 mm too far outboard! Can't blame that on poor moulding technique or shrinkage, that has to be a faulty mould recess.
Pleasantly surprised that all the holes for mounting the drop tanks and the bomb pylons have been drilled.
P1150978.JPG
More later,
Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Peter, At the time of that experience, I was attached to the Naval Air Training Command at Memphis ,Tennessee. After I completed my training there, I was attached to VT-3 (T28-C) Training Squadron at Naval Air Station Whiting Field for 2 years and then out to sea on the USS Intrepid for Carrier duty with VA-45 Squadron (A4-E). Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Peter, At the time of that experience, I was attached to the Naval Air Training Command at Memphis ,Tennessee. After I completed my training there, I was attached to VT-3 (T28-C) Training Squadron at Naval Air Station Whiting Field for 2 years and then out to sea on the USS Intrepid for Carrier duty with VA-45 Squadron (A4-E). Rick H.
COR Rick i bet you could tell some tales of happenings on the carrier
chris