Pete's Revell Hurricane

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The canopy is on - suddenly it starts to look like a Hurricane!
P1150944.JPG
There's a bit of a gap between the two parts, I'll need to fill that after I've done the masking. The frame lines are rather shallow so I think I'll use BMF for masking.
Underneath, we now have 8 ejection slots not 4, as well as the air intake and radiator cowl.
P1150945.JPGP1150946.JPG
The radiator cowl was really badly moulded - lots of flash, and the front end of the main part, as well as the sides, were distorted. I'm trying to build it up to a better shape with thin layers of Mr Dissolved Putty. The u/c gear doors are stuck in with white-tack, ready for painting. I don't usually prime, but I think I'll need to with this one. I've got a few rattle cans of various automotive primers.
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Pete, after me writing what a great kit mine was to put together, yours is certainly giving you a run for your money.

I am totally ignorant on such matters, but I can only presume my Revell kit was a later moulding. Hence the great fit and ease of the build I experienced.

Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Ron, I think you might be right, or yours might have been an earlier moulding and the tooling was damaged before mine was moulded. The particular moulding machine and its operator also makes a difference I believe.
Never mind, it's getting there!
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Revell have moulded the underside of the fuselage, behind the wing, with corrugations, like the fabric over stringers on the upper fuselage, but the underside is actually a smooth metal skin as in this photo taken at the Shuttleworth Collection last year:
DSC06391.JPG
More filling/sanding needed.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Didn't get much sleep last night between the thunder and the cat, who likes to show me how wet her paws are in the early hours, so I haven't done much today but I did get the canopy masked with BMF. Even using BMF, the frame lines were virtually invisible.
P1150947.JPG
The foil has wrinkled a bit, so I'll give it a coat of klear before the interior colour. I filled the gap between the two parts of the canopy with a spot of Gator's Grip.
Pete

First Name
Carl
Looking good Peter, this one is on my list to do at some point along with another go at the spitfire. Watching with interest.
carl

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Primer, that pivotal moment in a build. Looks good Pete.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Revell have moulded the underside of the fuselage, behind the wing, with corrugations, like the fabric over stringers on the upper fuselage, but the underside is actually a smooth metal skin as in this photo taken at the Shuttleworth Collection last year:
View attachment 395664
More filling/sanding needed.
Pete
Think I need to sand the bottom of my 1/24 Hurricane Pete, according to this photo.
Nice work on yours.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Coming along nicely Pete. I built two 1/72 Revell MK.IIC Sea Hurricanes, the canopy had hardly any framing. I sued decal strips to create the framing. Yours is looking great.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes, there's very little framing on this one Joe. I used Bare Metal Foil for the masking as it's so thin - the framing didn't show through Tamiya tape.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Silly mistake number 873. I got a coat of Sky on the underside yesterday, and started masking ready for the first coat on the topside... then realised I'd made my usual mistake of forgetting to paint the underside of the tailplanes.
Oh well, at least I could blow some Sky around the edges of the masking, so any creepage underneath won't show.

I'm having trouble with the paint (Mr Color) splattering again. Is this because the paint is too thin, or too thick?

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
A stroke of luck: I searched for Hurricane camo schemes, and found a page on Scalemates that showed instructions for a set of masks by Verben, the placement diagram shows on my PC monitor at exactly the right size for 1/72. So I traced all the shapes onto paper, went looking for a pack of Tamiya masking sheet, and found... a set of Eduard masks that I must have bought at a show for £1!
Cat has a vet appointment, and I have a car show later, so paint will probably be tomorrow.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Silly mistake number ??? (I've lost count). After painting the underside of the tail, I stirred up some Dark Earth, and started spraying. I remembered that another thing I usually forget is to paint the fuselage sides under the tail, so I made a point of spraying there... then realised I'd forgotten to mask the tailplane underside! Luckily I managed to clean off the dark earth, then masked the tail and completed the dark earth coat.
P1150952.JPG
A bit blotchy, but it'll look alright with a matt coat on.
Now, what can I mess up when I put the green on?

Pete (rapidly approaching senility)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Rather late , sorry Pete. Well it looks like your having fun, and winning.
I think there's some folks at these modelling companies who add to sprues just to cause confusion !

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, I've got mixed feelings about these Eduard camo masks. They're tricky to handle - they tend to curl up, and the adhesive 'grabs' whatever it touches, so they're very tricky to position correctly. In addition, they're presumably made to fit the Eduard Hurricane, and the Revell one I'm building must be a different shape in some places. In particular the canopy on the Revell seems to be about 5mm longer that the part of the masks that go around it, so I had to cut the masks and add some Tamiya tape. Also a few more gaps that had to be taped.
Still, they saved me having to cut the squiggly bits out of tape!
I brushed some clear over the edges of the masking to help with any creepage, the Hurricane has a lot of lumps and bumps that the masks and tape didn't conform to.
P1150954.JPG
On the mask instructions they say it's for camo scheme A, but the B scheme masks are also on the backing sheet.
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks as if you managed it quite well though Pete.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
We'll see John, when the dark green is on and the masks come off.
Pete