Pete's Sea King Mk41. Revell 1/72

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Time I started another wobblycopter. I've a few in the stash, but I didn't fancy building a Hind given this week's events, and the Pave Hawk has loads of PE and would probably take me a year to build. That leaves a Sea King:
P1170038.JPG

The kit was bought at the Southwell show a couple of years ago for the princely sum of £8, then a few days later I saw the Super Profile book in a charity shop, so had to have that!

The kit is from 1998:
P1170041.JPG

There's some nice detailing on some of the parts, but some major sinkage on the fuselage sides where Revell must have planned to use the same tooling for a different version, so some extra windows have been partly moulded.P1170041.JPGP1170040.JPGP1170042.JPGP1170043.JPG
Not sure how to deal with those - maybe cut out the distorted bits and fit extra windows?

The rest of the sprues:
P1170044.JPGP1170045.JPG
The main windscreen/canopy has the wipers moulded in - that'll be fun!

P1170047.JPG
The overhead console is nicely moulded inside the canopy. It would have been nice to have a decal for that though.
P1170048.JPG

The decal sheet is for a German SAR version. I'd have preferred RN or RAF, might look for some aftermarket decals.
More to come.
Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Just a little Chris - thanks for the reminder.
First - those distorted parts of the fuselage. While wondering what to do about them, I thought that just for a change I'd have a look at the instructions, and two of those partly-moulded windows are to be cut out and clear parts fitted. P1170049.JPG
So, I drilled them then attacked them with a dental burr in my battery Dremel:
P1170052.JPG
The green paint is just what I had in the airbrush, to help me estimate the amount of work needed.
There are two more distorted areas:
P1170053.JPGP1170054.JPGbut both cut across some moulded detail so I think I'll probably leave them alone rather than fill and sand, therefore removing the rivets.
Started painting and building up the cockpit and cabin:
P1170050.JPGP1170051.JPG
Plenty to do yet!
Cheers
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
NICE WORK Pete i'll be following your thread to help with my seaking but mine wont be as accrute as your due to working features
atb chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks good now you've done the cut outs Peter. A neat bit of work there .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Glad you got those ugly distortions figured out Pete........on the molded in wipers, I have had success in the past with slicing them off and then sanding down "carefully" to the surface and then using various fine grit sanding sticks to polish them out....this enabled me to install a set of real wipers and it made all the difference in the world. Well worth the effort in my opinion. Rick H.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've got a little more done on the inside:
P1170056.JPGP1170059.JPG
Those white wiring harnesses behind the front seats are messier than I would like, but they're the best I could do. Perhaps they'll look better if I give the whole interior a matt clear coat.
Also started masking the windows, which have to be inserted from the inside before the fuselage halves are joined. Two of the side windows are 'bubble' type, so I used Maskol on those, started applying the Maskol to the flat windows then realised I could just use masking tape!
P1170057.JPG
Sorry the camera couldn't decide what to focus on so didn't bother.
I've contacted Revell about the blemishes in the main canopy, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
P1170055.JPG
If they do send a replacement though, I can try Rick's idea for the wipers.
Pete

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey Pete,
I've somehow managed to completely miss your recent updates!! Just had a good read up though,and gotta say it's looking rather special :smiling3:
I have some similar issues with my kit actually,but that's not for here ;)
Cracking stuff mate,very enjoyable to follow!
Andy

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks like it'll be an inside/outside job Tim..... I'm not fond of masking anything let alone both sides of the same part! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2: :tongue-out: ;) Rick H.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Pete,

Sorry completely missed this. You've made a nice start but a shame about the canopy.....

ATB.

Andrew

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The first major bad fit so far; there are locating ridges on the fuselage sides for the floor, but the floor assembly seems to be about a millimetre too long.
P1170060.JPG
I've already sanded quite a lot of the front of the floor, as well as scraping the inside of the nose, but as you can see in the photo above, the vertical part of the step between the cockpit and the main cabin doesn't meet the locating ridge. If I built another of these I'd change the assembly sequence and glue the cockpit floor and cabin floor together first, so the assembly could be sanded to fit without all those extra bits getting in the way and making it hard to hold.

For a bit of relief from sanding I did a bit of masking. I thought it better to spray some Tamiya clear green on the canopy roof before I start masking and painting the framing and the overhead console.
P1170061.JPG
Came out OK I think.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Some you win, some you lose. Masking the canopy went well:
P1170063.JPG
Yes, I've even masked around the wipers!
Fitted the floor to one fuselage side as per instructions. Needed a bit of pressure to hold it while the glue set.
P1170062.JPG
Dry fitted the fuselage halves, and they fitted fine. started gluing and somehow it's changed shape! The tail section has gone together nicely, but there's a tep along the upper join towards the centre of the fuselage, and the two parts won't meet at the bottom:
P1170064.JPGP1170065.JPG
Oh well, filler tomorrow.
Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That gives me the "shudders" Pete....I'm now concerned about my future GB chopper build.......I hope this is not a recurring problem in this sort of model subject. If memory serves there was one other builder on the forum with similar issues. Hope you get it sorted without too much difficulty. Rick H.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've started the fill-a-thon.
P1170066.JPG
The sliding door is just tacked on with Maskol to keep some of the dust out. I'll leave it there while the fuselage gets painted then glue it more permanently in the open position. That is, unless I need to remove it to replace any of the windows - I've already pushed two of them inside! I tried Humbrol Clearfix, but I won't use it again - it doesn't seem to stick very well.
Also sprayed the framing colour on the canopy. I'll let that harden for a day or so before I fit the canopy and mask it off again.
Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Cockpit detail looks good Pete.........shame about the seams. While faffing about with my own build I discovered that the cockpit/interior insert was preventing the two fuselage halves from joining properly.......also some raised "Dots" on the inside of the fuselage were also interfering. Once removed, things went back to normal. I hope this goes a little "smoother" for you once you get this part of the build sorted out. :thumb2: Rick H.