Pete's Sea King Mk41. Revell 1/72

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Peter,
Coming on nicely mate. Rather you than me with those decals, that's why I build armour lol.
I quite like applying decals, they bring the model to life, and if the really small ones misbehave you can always leave them off!

I've had a small drama - spraying the matt coat, a small part came off - not sure what they are, there's one on each corner of the main hull, about 3 mm long and 1mm diameter, with a slightly bent end. Anyway, it fell off but I saw it on the paper towel that was under the model, so picked it up and put it safe. A couple of minutes later it had gone again. There's very little chance of finding anything that small on the floor of my garage/workshop, but I looked down, and there it was lying on piece of polythene sheet. I picked it up, went to put it in the same 'safe place' as earlier, and it was tangled in a bit of fluff - while trying to put it down, it disappeared again. Spent half an hour looking, but no joy. I might try to make one from a bit of plastic rod, or just leave it off. :rolling:

Pete

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I quite like applying decals, they bring the model to life, and if the really small ones misbehave you can always leave them off!

I've had a small drama - spraying the matt coat, a small part came off - not sure what they are, there's one on each corner of the main hull, about 3 mm long and 1mm diameter, with a slightly bent end. Anyway, it fell off but I saw it on the paper towel that was under the model, so picked it up and put it safe. A couple of minutes later it had gone again. There's very little chance of finding anything that small on the floor of my garage/workshop, but I looked down, and there it was lying on piece of polythene sheet. I picked it up, went to put it in the same 'safe place' as earlier, and it was tangled in a bit of fluff - while trying to put it down, it disappeared again. Spent half an hour looking, but no joy. I might try to make one from a bit of plastic rod, or just leave it off. :rolling:

Pete
Yup! The disappearing 'fingamabob' really frustrates, annoys, and ultimately 'pi---s' me off big style! Especially as, three months later, it magically appears on the top of a sock, or on the worktop, or even the deck whilst cleaning up! (Even though you've spent ages on hands and knees searching) And ... you've just scratched it!
Steve

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Yup! The disappearing 'fingamabob' really frustrates, annoys, and ultimately 'pi---s' me off big style! Especially as, three months later, it magically appears on the top of a sock, or on the worktop, or even the deck whilst cleaning up! (Even though you've spent ages on hands and knees searching) And ... you've just scratched it!
Steve
HI Steve oh very very true an im the same if i fit a fingmabob an lose it an sure as eggs are eggs it will turn up later after a massives search on my hands an knees an ive given up an loads of build time wasted but i have a secret weapon on fingmabobs that dissapear an thats jen she normaly finds it within seconds after i have been searchin for what seems like ages an then she will say you dint look that hard did you an well by that time im completely pi**ed off an wont even fit it back on an on my working seaking i wont even fit them fingmabobs cause they will only get broken off while its bein handled a lot on an off tiger's flightdeck so fingmabobs dont even think about bein fitted on :tongue-out3: :rolling:
chrisb

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've had to drill and pin the tailwheel, having broken it off... twice! A short piece of 0.6mm steel MIG wire did the trick. Stuck the last bits on, did a bit of touching-up, got a few photos while the weather was good and before I broke any more off! Here's a teaser; I'll put up a 'finished' thread when I find where to put it.
P1170093.JPG
Thanks for all your support on this build.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I can't find a 'finished' section for this GB, so here's the rest of the pics:
P1170094.JPGP1170095.JPGP1170096.JPGP1170097.JPGP1170098.JPGP1170099.JPGP1170100.JPGP1170101.JPGP1170102.JPGP1170103.JPGP1170104.JPGP1170105.JPGP1170106.JPGP1170107.JPGP1170108.JPGP1170109.JPGP1170110.JPGP1170111.JPG
Sorry if it's too pic-heavy! I don't usually bother with aerials, but I did on this. It's wire stripped from a Continental Airlines headset from many years ago when I used to cross the Atlantic several times a year. My big mistake was to fit the aerial before I'd finished a few other things, and I was running out of places I could hold the model!
Again, thanks for watching.
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
DITTO Pete just what Scottie says FANTASTC modeling Pete an if mine will come half as good i will be well pleased brilliant modeling
chrisb

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Gotta agree with the guys on this one Pete, that's a cracking result :smiling3:
There's something about that "Iron Cross like" marking that I've always found very eye catching !
One other thing..... That Jig you were using in the build pics on the previous page to cradle the fuselage... Was it home made or bought in?.... It looks very useful ;)
Andy

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Pete,

That's brilliant. An outstanding finish. Very well done indeed!!!

ATB.

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Pete just been studying your seaking an i was wondering why the main rotor hub sits so high above the fusalarge ? an i'll say this your kit looks as though it fitted a lot better than mine as my kit was :poop: an i hope the other three kits will fit better
chrisb

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks for the compliments chaps.
One other thing..... That Jig you were using in the build pics on the previous page to cradle the fuselage... Was it home made or bought in?.... It looks very useful ;)
Andy
Andy, I bought it at a show a few years ago, from, I think, Little-cars. It didn't really work for the heli, which kept trying to rotate, but it's great for 1/72 aircraft.
Ah, here they are: https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/jhmodels-205-c.asp
Cheers
Pete

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy