Pete's Wildcat

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It's not every day you get the chance to pose an aircraft with the wings folded. Only one option for me :thumb2:
Good point Andy.
How about a small dio with the wings being unfolded with one already opened and locked and the other in progress?:thumb2:
Rick H.
Well Pete what Rick has said that's a bloomin good idea now that's something different an the best of both worlds
chris
Good idea Rick, but I don't do dios.
Whatever you fancy pete , bear in mind though , if you do fold one or both wings , when folded the ailerons deflected upwards due to the control cable being tightened , on both wings too if youre going for fully folded, cheers tony
Thanks Tony. That's actually shown in the instructions, but the reason isn't explained.
Shown well here:

Thanks Jakko, that's a brilliant video. Shows a few other things as well.

Well, it looks like there's a consensus for folded wings, so that's what I'll do. Painting will be tricky, I'll have to leave the outer wings off until after painting, and brush the wingfold areas after assembly. Glad it isn't a Gannet!

Thanks for all the comments chaps.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've been a bit tied up with other things - raging toothache, which will involve a surgical removal, and the boiler has a strange fault, but I managed to get a bit of work done:
P1150648.JPG
These Mr Color paints spray really nicely. I realised I've been using the Aqueous Hobby Color paints with the thinner for the solvent-based Mr Color, but it works fine. Smells a bit but that's not a problem in the garage.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Still waiting for an appointment with the oral surgeon, and the central heating isn't fixed yet, but I've got the decals on:
P1150649.JPGP1150650.JPG
Marinating in Microsol at the moment. It's a lot easier to decal the wings and fuselage when they aren't attached to each other!
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Haven't been doing much recently, I've had a lot of dental problems. I'll spare you the gory details, but basically I had a raging toothache for a month, had the tooth out on Tuesday, but have a gum infection which is nearly as painful.
Anyway, the Wildcat needed its folded wings attached. This is the first task on this kit that made me feel the kit is badly designed. There's not much gluing surface, and no positive location. If I had more hands I'd have fitted the stays that run to the tail at the same time, but I only have the usual two, so the best I could do was to try to get the angle of the wings to match the instructions, let that dry, then add the stays. Well, I think I've got the right angle from the side but couldn't get them right seen from the top without pulling them off the gluing surface. Hard to understand what's gone wrong there - must be something I've done, but I can't think what!
Then tried to fit those stays, but because the wingtips are too close to the fuselage the kit parts were too long, so I cut them down a bit at a time:
P1150651.JPG
Anyway, they're on now, and drying.
P1150652.JPG
What colour should I paint those stays? Today I think they'd be red, as a Remove Before Flight item, but I'm not sure about during WW2.
Just the wheels and the pitot left to add, a few touch-ups, and the matt coat. Then I can remove the masking and decide whether to fit the open canopy or leave it as id.
Thanks for looking, comments welcome.
Pete
Edit: and the flaps of course!
Edit again: and the aerial!

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi Pete , when i did my 1/32 revell martlet I painted them yellow , same colour as most wheel chocks seen in ww2 , might be correct , might not , but who's to say ? glad the tooth is slowly getting better Cheers tony

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Red would probably work as well as a bright yellow. I'm not sure there was a standard color for things like this during WW2. Been in Aviation for near 50 years and have seen both colors employed on "Remove Before Flight" items. HTH. Rick H.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hi Pete , when i did my 1/32 revell martlet I painted them yellow , same colour as most wheel chocks seen in ww2 , might be correct , might not , but who's to say ? glad the tooth is slowly getting better Cheers tony
Thanks Tony, that sounds a good idea. I don't know if the tooth is getting better, I left it behind! Thanks though, I know what you mean. Just hope the antibiotics deal with the infection in my gum.
Red would probably work as well as a bright yellow. I'm not sure there was a standard color for things like this during WW2. Been in Aviation for near 50 years and have seen both colors employed on "Remove Before Flight" items. HTH. Rick H.
Thanks Rick. I'll go with yellow then.

Cheers
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Would the pitot be in the underside colour, or red as on the restored examples?
Pete

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I’d go for underside colour Pete , with the very end unpainted bit in a silvery bronze colour , cheers tony

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Are we there yet?
Nearly.
P1150653.JPG
Added the flaps, aerial, and what Andy would probably call the twirly bit on the front.
There's no way I'll be able to remove that canopy and fit the open one, so closed it shall stay.
Matt coat tomorrow, with luck.
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Are we there yet?
Nearly.
View attachment 376079
Added the flaps, aerial, and what Andy would probably call the twirly bit on the front.
There's no way I'll be able to remove that canopy and fit the open one, so closed it shall stay.
Matt coat tomorrow, with luck.
Pete
Very nicely done Pete work of art be nice to see her with her decals on
chris

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
They're on already Chris! See my post #63 above!
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, the closed canopy fell off when I tried to take the masking off! So, back to Plan A, to fit the open canopy. You might remember I tried masking with Bare Metal Foil. This was easier than tape to apply, since it is very thin and rubs down well, and it's easy to see the framing. Also cuts easily. Removing it though is more difficult than tape, partly because it sticks so well but mainly because it's so thin there isn't a discernible edge to poke at with a cocktail stick, I had to start a couple of the panels with a scalpel blade.
That said, I'm very pleased with the result, with nice crisp edges, no paint crept underneath. What was very strange was that the BMF came away from the front part of the canopy with no residue remaining, but on the sliding part there was a film of adhesive left on the canopy. The two canopy parts were on the same sprue, and the BMF was cut from the same sheet, just a centimetre or so away, so why on earth should one part have glue left and one not? Cue 'Twilight Zone' music.
Anyway, the BMF adhesive cleaned off with a cotton bud and some low odour thinners, so here she is with the canopy parts stuck on. Sorry for the poor photo, I'll take some better ones tomorrow when the Gator's Grip has cured.
P1150654.JPG
There's a small crack in the sliding part of the canopy, right at the top. Don't tell anyone though.
Pete