Phantom battle damage -Vietnam

First Name
Dave
Found this pic whilst looking for photos of weathered Aircraft for my Phantom SIG build.Amazing it could fly and land in that condition.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lucky guys indeed. Probably a good thing the F4 has an all moving tailplane and enough fin left. The rudder you can fly without. Was this a SAM hit?

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Lucky guys indeed. Probably a good thing the F4 has an all moving tailplane and enough fin left. The rudder you can fly without. Was this a SAM hit?
Not sure Joe.I was looking through loads of photos on the net and saving ones of interest on my ipad.Didnt read the caption for this one.Still can't find many pics of Phantoms with weathering.

D

Danny

You know Dave...the info states the fus of the Phantom was semi-gloss...It looks matt to me in every pic Ive seen....whats your take on that?

Danny

First Name
Dave
Danny.Picture below is the one I will be doing.The Paint is definitely matt.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I like the first picture Dave if i mess mine up i'll just hit it with an hammer and call it battle damage

D

Danny

Now theres an idea Ian... set it on fire at the back, throw it from an upstairs window while taking pics of the action....hows that for reality....(Works out the exposure settings just in case they are needed !)

Danny

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I like the first picture Dave if i mess mine up i'll just hit it with an hammer and call it battle damage
.Now battle damage,there's an idea?!!!.On second thoughts,a bit of weathering is difficult enough!.I'll leave the claw hammer action to you Ian.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Anyone ever made one of those Lindberg Battle Damaged kits?

B

Bari

Brings back memories, I managed to tear the rudder off a 56 Sqn Phantom at Wattisham when the towing tractor brakes wouldn't hold it as as I backed it down the engine running ramp and missed the slot in the building that the tail end was supposed to go into. The Boss was not happy!!

0ne48thtel

\ said:
Brings back memories, I managed to tear the rudder off a 56 Sqn Phantom at Wattisham when the towing tractor brakes wouldn't hold it as as I backed it down the engine running ramp and missed the slot in the building that the tail end was supposed to go into. The Boss was not happy!!
What did you tell the boss. Well boss the bird and I have split! I told her it wouldn't work! but she tore off to the left I went to the right and now she's dragging her arse behind her

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
What

\ said:
Danny.Picture below is the one I will be doing.The Paint is definitely matt.
What a bird. Check out that shabby paint work. You just know that that is a solid reliable jet that's seen plenty of action. The good cabs on 230sqn used to get flown all the time and were filthy while the cabs that were bags of nails were always clean.

A

Andy Mac

\ said:
Don't understand your banter old chap.
Sorry, I'm off on a bit of a tangent here, the 118 adverts on the TV with the 2 guys with the moustaches, similar to the guy with the moustache in the picture.

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Sorry, I'm off on a bit of a tangent here, the 118 adverts on the TV with the 2 guys with the moustaches, similar to the guy with the moustache in the picture.
OOOOPPS! Joke lost me thinks. :smiling3: