Phantom of the Ruhr Lancaster bomber 550 Sqdn

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
You're going to need a big mantlepiece for 1/72 or over, I don't know how accurate a model you can get smaller hopefully one of the aircraft guys can help you out.
regards Jim

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Steve
I would go with 1/72 it’s a big aircraft the Revell kit I think you would like it. DD5038DF-B035-4BF7-978C-C680A9BCD5B9.jpegpics are for reference only

Last edited:

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
At 1/72 the fuselage is 295 mm and the wingspan is 428 mm, hence the big mantlepiece
regards Jim

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Steve
There may be more in 1/72 I’ve seen the Revell on YouTube the Revell looks to have more options and details. You will have to find AM decals I checked for you there’s some out there

Last edited:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
It seems Jim 1 72 is the size to go for. I may have to build a bigger mantle piece :smiling5: :smiling3:
The stories he told me about Leisham were riveting Peter. The family has his diaries and it would be great to see them in print.
Thanks for you help Lee. With your information to hand I have looked into the ether and seen an Airfix and Hasegawa kit also. However you are right in what you say that the Revell kit is the one to go for. I have located the decals as well. The next question is should I go for the PE kits and resin wheels???

Many thanks for all your help guys. When I get round to it I will need advice on how to build and paint one of these wingy flying doobrey whatsits.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Look foward this Steve. Wonderful aircraft. Had the great treat of a tour of the BBMF lanc a few years ago, awesome day!!

You might need a mantle piece from Southfolk. Now anybody who knows where this is a old git like me lol

Bob

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great build idea Steve and the guys have shown you a good kit. :thumb2:

Had built one of Revell’s Dambuster variants awhile back and the kit was pretty decent only that had raised detail but under a coat of paint still nice.

Good luck with finding all the ingredients and if you need any help just give me shout.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A great idea Steve, so will keep a look out for the start .
You building a wingy, stranger things have happened, but this is close !
Keep me a front row seat please .

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
It seems Jim 1 72 is the size to go for. I may have to build a bigger mantle piece :smiling5: :smiling3:
The stories he told me about Leisham were riveting Peter. The family has his diaries and it would be great to see them in print.
Thanks for you help Lee. With your information to hand I have looked into the ether and seen an Airfix and Hasegawa kit also. However you are right in what you say that the Revell kit is the one to go for. I have located the decals as well. The next question is should I go for the PE kits and resin wheels???

Many thanks for all your help guys. When I get round to it I will need advice on how to build and paint one of these wingy flying doobrey whatsits.
Steve the Revell kit is cut out more your style lots of detailed pieces also look up barracuda wheels and tires they are highly detailed I would go with Resin wheels because I know how you are super deep detail. I’ve bought a couple sets of the barracuda wheels and also there’s another company called true detail Resin wheels you might want to check those out too then make your decision kit wheels sometimes are very shallow with detail glad I can help out an old friend

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Steve,
1/72, you can also get away with a decent hardstand as well and there are a multitude of decals out there
Cheers, Mike.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve...a noble gesture. Now if I'm correct your initial intention was an OOB build. The new Hasegawa kit is the kit for an OOB. I have the Dam Buster kit and it looks pretty good compared to the Old Revell and Matchbox kits that I too have. The only flaw that Hasegawa made was the position of the canopy hatch...thats all. The gun turret clear parts no need re-doing.

I have to get them down from the stash and look at the set of decals...some AM to see if I have extra for the Dam Busters. I intend to modify the Revell kit into a Manchester as the surface detail is a bit heavy and grungy, the Hasegawa into a standard Lanc and the Matchbox into a Dambuster...talk about being analy crazy. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve, just checked and my Revell Lanc is the very old archaic one. The one thats shown above is the new tooled kit which is quite nice with extra interior than the Hasegawa kit. There might be the price factor. I hear Japanese kits are priced high in UK.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That must have been a wonderful day out Bob. Your a lucky man
I appreciate the help Fernando. I might open a direct line with you when I start it:smiling5:
Totally agree Colin. You need to keep them on their toes
Its between this one and the Revell one Laurie. At the end of the day it may be down to cost which decides the one I go for. Thanks for the info.
I thought I would never see the day John. My daughter is an RAF veteran and now wants me to build her some wingy stuff as well. Why didnt I have sons in the army??:smiling3::smiling5::tears-of-joy:
Good shout on the wheels Lee. They certainly look the part
Thanks Mike. Got the decals so just need the kit and wheels now
Indeed the price will be the deciding factor Richard. Thanks for the heads up on the kits