Phil's 1/48 Monogram F9F-5p Panther

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi Guys

So this is my first involvement into a SIG (Korean War). Voted for in a poll by your good selves the F9F-5P is the late reconnaissance version of Grummans first jet which was also the one of the Navy's first successful carrier based jets. 36 were built and because they were completely unarmed missions were very risky.

You'll notice from the poll I originally meant to buy the trumpeter F9F-2P but I got carried away at my local shop and purchased this Monogram version, I've had difficulty finding some aftermarket for it so will be building out of the box bar maybe some scratch.

Thanks for looking

Phil

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
So here's my first attempt at painting a kit instrument panel and cockpit consoles ect rather than using PE, still some more to do (adding levers, weathering and glossing dials ect) but please let me know what you think so far.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice work on the office, lovely detail Phil.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's painted? I thought decals ( not very intimate with plane models) Excellent detail work;).........Jim:smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
One of the things I love about the better monogram kits is the fantastic detail they have . Even though the cockpit is not made up of many parts their instrument panels and general tooling takes some beating in my opinion. Youve done a superb job of painting the panels , every bit as good as P.E. . I'm just doing their Super Sabre and the cockpit on that looks lovely once painted and washed , I even got the moulded on seat belts to look ok with a bit of careful painting! Keep the updates coming phil , this is going to be good reference for when i get my Monogram Panther !! cheers tony

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
One of the things I love about the better monogram kits is the fantastic detail they have . Even though the cockpit is not made up of many parts their instrument panels and general tooling takes some beating in my opinion. Youve done a superb job of painting the panels , every bit as good as P.E. . I'm just doing their Super Sabre and the cockpit on that looks lovely once painted and washed , I even got the moulded on seat belts to look ok with a bit of careful painting! Keep the updates coming phil , this is going to be good reference for when i get my Monogram Panther !! cheers tony
Hi Tony

Think we spoke about this briefly in the Poll, you made some comment on the raised panel lines when I asked about whether they're realistic. On closer inspection they are finely molded and don't look that bad to be fair, shall I waist time rescribing? I think at 1/48 I can get away with it but how will it effect decal lay?

As for the panels i thought the detail was really nice actually which is partly why I decided to paint this time and not use PE. Finding reference for this particular variant was difficult but I got in touch with the owner of a warbird museum in the U.S about a P5 that I have the decals for in this box.

Phil

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I dont mind the raised lines at all , it can be a bit awkward cleaning up seams etc but usually monogram kits have lovely detailed panel lines and panels which i reckon would be impossible to recreate by rescribing. The decals will be fine , just treat them the same as with recessed lines , a bit of decal solvent and they will snuggle down nicely. Further proof of monograms fantastic detail can be seen on my B 58 hustler build , the details they got in the wheel wells / undercarriage and cockpit were excellent, cheers tony

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
I dont mind the raised lines at all , it can be a bit awkward cleaning up seams etc but usually monogram kits have lovely detailed panel lines and panels which i reckon would be impossible to recreate by rescribing. The decals will be fine , just treat them the same as with recessed lines , a bit of decal solvent and they will snuggle down nicely. Further proof of monograms fantastic detail can be seen on my B 58 hustler build , the details they got in the wheel wells / undercarriage and cockpit were excellent, cheers tony
Yeah same here the front wheel well looks like a resin piece Tony, i'll definitely leave those raised lines then I reckon. I'll post some more shots later hopefully

Cheers

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
I found a couple of shots which showed pretty simple harnessing so I hacked up some unwed Luftwaffe belts

image.jpeg

I also made a cushion from white tac then painted gloss black...

image.jpeg

So, granted its not the best but I was never starting out to make this an immaculate build just straight out the box, seat in, cockpit should be all together done to tomorrow. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

P

Polux

Nice start Phil.

Wow! Looks a really nice work so far ;)

Thanks for join in!!