Photo Etch Bending Tool

A

Awins

Been looking at Johns selection of PE bending tools and a little confused on which to buy. Building in scales 1/48 and 1/32 aircraft and military vehicles in 1/35.

Any ideas on the tool best suited for my needs  please.

P

Pigboy

I have 2 tools that I use. one is that flat multi faceted overly priced one. You loosen it. Slip the part in and the tighten it back down. I use a utility knife blade to help bend it. It's worth the money, I'm a penny pincher :smiling3:   But look around on line for the best price.I think the one I picked up was about 30 USD. It's a small one but it works. The other tool I use is a pair of Tamita photo etch pliers. Again, over prices but works. If you have a hardware store near you all they are is flat needle nose pliers but don't have any teeth so not to damage the part. I would look around for some and if they have teeth just file them down smooth. Be sure they close good to so you don't see a gap when you close them. Told you I was cheap. Well, hope this helps you. Happy Modeling.

First Name
Jimbob
The bug which is the square smallish one is probably the most versatile one and adequate for 1/35 the photo etch in the detail kits are thin I use the bug for 1/35 I also have the biggest one but that is kept for o gauge brass railway kits.   Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Agree that "the bug", the small square one, is great for most things. However I find a pair of Tamiya PE pliers are also very useful. One thing I miss is a PE tool that can fold long parts. I know they are out there but they are pretty pricey for what they are. Another great idea also which also has a silly price are the tools for rolling. 
I make do with the shank of a drill bit for rolling and a short steel rule for long bits....A good idea to soften the brass first for either of these, 

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Agree that "the bug", the small square one, is great for most things. However I find a pair of Tamiya PE pliers are also very useful. One thing I miss is a PE tool that can fold long parts. I know they are out there but they are pretty pricey for what they are. Another great idea also which also has a silly price are the tools for rolling. 
I make do with the shank of a drill bit for rolling and a short steel rule for long bits....A good idea to soften the brass first for either of these, 

Rolling brass with a wooden rod on an old mouse mat is a handy hint.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Rolling brass with a wooden rod on an old mouse mat is a handy hint.

Jepsen! I just use drill bits as they are at hand and come in many sizes....I have a small chunk of mouse mat type rubber I use..

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Ditto on the "bug"! ^_^

First Name
Gwyn
I bought the Mk IV which is slightly larger than the bug from John and it has done everything I wanted to do, very pleased and the quality is great.

D

Deleted member 5496

Choice of the unit depends on what you are going to do in PE terms.

Very simple two or three bends with the smaller unit is OK. A problem I found was that the single knob is expected to clamp which it does in the middle of each edge. But on the corners the clamping is not so good even though the unit is well engineered.

I bought the Photo Etch Bending Tool 5.5 [5 Speed] Hold and Fold from John. This has the two knobs to pinch the plates together. It has a number of advantages over the single knob unit.

It is much easier to position the PE and it will clamp very tight on the edge of each corner. It also has more sizes of cut outs which is invaluable when intricate folds are required in opposing directions. It is sturdier and much easier to make the bends and more accurately.

For clamping Pe and filing the burrs is much easier as the PE is held more firmly. The unit being larger it is much easier to keep the unit stiil on a worktop while bends are being made. I have at times tried the smaller unit again but resorted back to the large unit.

If as so many PE people are using thicker brass sheet the large unit is a definite. Units like this are complicated and the larger unit is essential.

Stewart

selection_001.jpg

A.jpg

P7301706.JPG