Pictures from Duxford.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN Barry have they made a mistake on the thunderbolt as its got yank stars on both wings i alway thought they had on all their plane one an one down ? but some exselent pics an im enjoyin them
chris

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Lovely photos Barry, thanks for posting them. It's been too long since I spent a few hours at Duxford!

Here is Uffz Horst Perez's Bf 109 as it was in 1940, the scene that the IWM has done a decent job reproducing.

IMG_2360.JPG

Poor old Perez was shot at by soldiers after he landed, being wounded in the hand and jaw, which probably made a bad day even worse.

This aircraft was sent to the USA in 1941 where it toured various cities for the 'Bundles for Britain' campaign. It also went on show in Canada. It ended up in the Baker Bros. scrapyard in Ottawa where, in 1962 it was bought by Dennis Knight, beginning its journey to its present location at the IWM Duxford. Quite a story!

First Name
Carl

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Great set of photos Barry, from one of my favourite museums.
Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for posting these Barry, You are fortunate to be able to get in. My brother has informed me that the Naval Air Museum at NAS Pensacola, Florida is closed indefinitely during the "Covid Crisis".
Rick H.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Looks like a great museum. I must take a visit myself, think it’s a couple of hours away from me although I never enjoy the motorways to London.
Like you I dont enjoy the M25 and others close to London but for me it unavoidable to get almost anywhere outside of Kent, like you it is a 2 hour drive but its well worth it.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks for posting these Barry, You are fortunate to be able to get in. My brother has informed me that the Naval Air Museum at NAS Pensacola, Florida is closed indefinitely during the "Covid Crisis".
Rick H.
Thats a real pain but I understand that the epidemic is really bad in the US of A so stay safe and visit when normality returns...

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
AN Barry have they made a mistake on the thunderbolt as its got yank stars on both wings i alway thought they had on all their plane one an one down ? but some exselent pics an im enjoyin them
chris
They did carry two stars up to Feb 1943. It was around then that bars were added and they were reduced to a single wing but, even so, there are examples of aircraft carrying stars and bars on both wings.
Take a look at the link. .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Cheers for your answer Barry an thats someting eles ive learned as i dint know this
chris