mobear

looks just an american warhorse well used inside,really nice weathering polux

mobear

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work so far Polux, it's looking the part. What is the hair spray method?

P

Polux

\ said:
Nice work so far Polux, it's looking the part. What is the hair spray method?
I don't know if it's the correct name in England....

The idea is: paint the first coat color (iron/grey) (wait to dry well). Then apply spray (lacquer) and let dry 1 or 2 hours. Applies color vehicle. Let's dry an hour again (aprox). With a clean paintbrush, moisten the zone where we want to create the effect "chipping", and with many smoothness be rubbing until the painting jumps or chips.

Hope you understand me ;)

I have to say it's my first time, have to practice, but I'm happy with it!!

I'm sure here are a veteran modellers can explain better this method... Hope this help you.

Thanks

Polux

Last edited:
P

phalinmegob

you explained it pretty well polux,i use warm water when rubbing and sometimes it helps to just scratch a bit of paint off and then rub away. dont buy expensive hairspray either just cheap and nasty stuff seems to work better

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I think I understand. 1. Basic under coat colour to be exposed later goes on. 2. Hair spray (lacquer spray) is applied. 3. Top colour goes on. 4. When dry use a moist toothbrush to chipping area and sections of paint will come off.

Is that correct? Sounds like a good way of applying chipping over larger areas. Thanks Polux :smiling3:

P

phalinmegob

thats pretty much it joe, just keep checking as you are rubbing, one minute you cant see any progress, next minute most of your paint has dissappeared without you realising.

C

CDW

That chassis is perfect, thats one of the most natural chipping effects i've seen on a chassis with using hairspray ... most seem to use the salt method if spraying .... as Andrew says using hairspray sometimes you end up with a huge area coming off ... this is very fine work Polux.

P

Polux

\ said:
I think I understand. 1. Basic under coat colour to be exposed later goes on. 2. Hair spray (lacquer spray) is applied. 3. Top colour goes on. 4. When dry use a moist toothbrush to chipping area and sections of paint will come off. Is that correct? Sounds like a good way of applying chipping over larger areas. Thanks Polux :smiling3:
That is Joe!!

You can do before in a piece of plastic for practice!

Like Andrew say, during a few time you don't see result ;) , but after... You can do with cold water, it's slower but you can control better the chips.

Thanks to all for the comments!

Polux

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I will give it a try sometime, thanks for the tip :smiling3:

P

Polux

HI all

I have to do a little touch up on the exhaust pipe, but the chasis is nearly finished.

I do the laquer method, a brown wash and a mix of sand / brown pigments.

In the pics it's not dry yet, then the color will do more soft than is showed on the pictures.

Thanks

Polux

View attachment 57608

View attachment 59532

P1010166.jpg

A

AJay

Look forward to seeing this one progress, Polux. I really like what you've done with the tyres.

S

Sky Raider

Looking good my friend, cant wait to see the finished item.

Cheers

Andy