Pioneeres of aeromodelling progress-P.E.Norman

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
P.E.Norman will probably be best remembered for his highly loaded ducted fan projects,he built the Mig 15,Boulton Paul BP.III and F-86 Sabre all powered with this tenuous system.

His models followed shapely fuselages modelled from steamed and twisted balsa sheet bonded together in the most incredible way,he could be seen out flying his models on Fairlop common as his jets swished overhead much to the amazement of onlookers.

A sculptur by trade his skills were used to design and build trophies for the Aeromodeller magazine and the then S.M.A.E Society of model aeronautical engineeres championship trophies,he was also an aeronautical artist of great note.

I still have a few plans by P.E.Norman and it is interesting trying to get your mind inside that of a genius,the early attempts at building the impeller fans for the ducted fan units from fibre sheet evolved into the Veron Imp units produced commercially for inclusion into their jet kits,all this was long before the powerful gas turbines came into being,low output jets had always held a fascination and that is where H.Wilmot-Mansour came in with the well known Jetex 50,100 units,these worked on the principles of expanding gases which emmited through a tiny nozzle,a fuse was lit and burned into solid capsules trapped between a metal gauze with a hollow centre,you became very skillful at removing the hot centre wire of the motors wick !.

P.E.Norman is no longer with us but his designs live on to be built by enthusiasts,aeromodelling would have been a poorer place without people like him prepared to accept that challenge,to push the boundaries just that little bit further.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes I will drink to that Ad ! move that stash of balsa in the corner and give yourself a bit more leg room in the virtual modelling workshop,more gripping yarns of pioneering adventures tomorrow.

B

Bluewavestudios

I must admit I have looked admiringly at P.E. Normans plans and seen many pics of his models, just shows what you can do without all the fancy Hi-tech Stuff.

You mentioned the Veron Impellors for ducted fan units, I still have 3 of these in mint condition. Can't remember the sizes of them but 2 are same size so would do for a twin project (I did have the A-10 Warthog in mind when I bought these, I still have the plans by R.M.Green for this aircraft, he used two engines turning props fitted in the engine nacelles on his, the 2 Veron fans I have will fit inside the nacelles in true D/F style).

The third Impellor is slightly larger.

Maybe one day I will get round to using them....All 3 are in their original boxes tucked away safely.

Regards........Mark

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes go for it Bluewave,a Warthog would be a splendid subject,those impeller units are collectors pieces in themselves,strongly suggest that you make replicas of them,you can improve on the design by bonding the blades as they were known to work loose.

There is a special joy in creating low tech models that fly,I also have some of those moulded balsa Jetex kits Skyray,F-100 etc so the same dilemma,do I copy the parts or keep them as historical artifacts ?

B

Bluewavestudios

I may just do the A-10 then when time permits, I want to get all the other models I have started out of the way first and will then start something new like the A-10. There was a guy round here a while back who had built 2 of these A-10's from same plans, One of them was twin prop powered as per original plans but still looked good in flight and the other was a PSS Soarer and that flew very well too.

I have several models I wish to build but I will get my original projects done first. They shouldn't take too long.

My new electric scroll saw is working overtime already cutting out new bits..!!

(Fantastic tool though....was on offer in B&Q for £30 so who am I to refuse..!!)

Regards..........Mark

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes B & Q have some excellent cheap power tools for the modeller,I got my rotary/bench sander for £70 last year,dont know what I did without it ?

The electric schroll saws originally retailed for double what you paid,apparently they just buy huge stocks direct from the manufacturers.

Yes we alll get carried away sometimes with projects but it is good to have a few in the pipeline.

B

Bluewavestudios

Yes, quite agree, got a few tools from B & Q now, One of my other good purchases was a Mini-Drill...same as the Dremel but made by Precision tools (same make as my scroll saw) but this only cost £15 with 60 bits with it...compared to the Dremel at £79...the Dremel attachments fit on this too.

I still have my Como Mini-Drill too, works fine, not as powerful, but useful for the finer work where the speed is not important.

Regards.......Mark