Pioneers of aeromodelling progress-C.A.Pollitt.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
When the Supermarine Spitfire & the Messerschmitt Bf.109 first appeared in the war torn skies of Europe model builders were quick to recognise these machines as excellent and exciting model subjects,despite the lack of technical drawings available for such (then) secret designs every available photograph was scrutinised to make up plans for a flying model.

The Aeromodeller usually had free plans inserted into its pages and these were produced by amateur draughtsmen who contributed to its pages,although on reflection some of these drawings bore a poor resemblance to the full size subject they were made as practical flying scale subjects,one such author was C.A.Pollitt who produced amongst others the Spitfire 1 and the early version of the Me.109 ( we will not go along the Me/Bf designation here it is far too complicated a matter !) I can personally testify as to the flying ability of these small models,one day the Spitfire flew from our small field at the back of the house circled three times and flew low level between the orchard in the neighbours garden,it eventually finished up in the top of one of the trees with no more than a bit of leading edge damage to one wing,what a thrilling flight witnessed by a young lad,funny how these things leave lasting impressions on you ? I really should replicate that model for old times sake.

So all of this was thanks to C.A.Pollitt and his design skills shared amongst many,hence his inclusion here.

I am just waiting for someone to recognise one of these perhaps obscure names here soon and say something like-'That was my father' who knows ?

So we have yet another unsung hero recorded here.