Pioneers of aeromodelling progress-Eddie Keil

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Almost any young lad made a model built from a Keil Kraft kit,but how many realised the sheer hard work and dedication that went into these simple but rewarding models ? their being was made possible by aeromodeller Eddie Keil who formed the household name kit manufacturing business called 'Keil Kraft' all of the scale models follwed a method of construction based on the basic ships keel principle,upon this was laid one set of formers which were stringered with strip balsa,the side lifted and then the parts for the opposite side built up accordingly.

The result was a very strong and above all light structure and most of the models with a little bit of care could be trimmed to fly well.

The secret of Keil's success was the yearly handbook which not only listed the kits but all the various accessories such as propellers,rubber,cements,wire etc to back the kits up,many a youngster would arrive at his or her model shop clutching this bible pocket money in hand !.

So what about Eddie Keil himself,well he was certainly a self motivated person with great foresight,the premises at Commerce way,Lancing are still occupied by Messrs Amerang who distribute model goods from the very same factory complex.

I did hear that Keil Kraft had their very own test ground near the factory and a museum which showed a built up kit of every model kit produced,such names as Achilles,Ajax,Playboy,Caprice will surely ring a bell,these are the very models that modellers learned how to build and trim models.

So I have no hesitation in adding Eddie Keil to our gallery here of pioneering greats,he gave so much in his fascinating lifetime to our hobby.

By the way a lot of the drawings have the name Albert Hatfull at the bottom,if anyone knows about this designer then I would love to know more about him ?.