Pioneers of aeromodelling progress-Peter Farrar.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Peter Farrar built up a large collection of scale model aircraft that spanned the whole spectrum of aviation history,his models became a regular attraction at the annual R.A.F at home days held throughout the country and thrilled thousands of people and made valuable cash for the R.A.F Benevolent fund.

The collection which was based at Peters home in Torquay comprised over 1,000 models which each had to be individually packed and unpacked,the R.A.F assisted by providing transport in the form of a Vickers Valetta transport to fly the collection up to Biggin Hill for display.

Well how did Peter Farrar get interested in model building ? he joined the R.A.F and was based at Wigtown where he was responsible for running the aircraft recognition classes,having access to many of the official models which were all painted in a rather drab all matt black finish he decided to enhance them by putting in some detail and adding markings etc and so the roots of the collection were born,quick to see the advertising potential the Humber oil company producers of the Humbrol paints used his models in their advertisements showing Peter at work on his models,to this end he later became a representative for the company.

The last I heard of this vast collection was when it came up for sale as lots,if anyone knows of what became of them then I should be interested to know ?

I have some pictures somewhere of this collection and should I find them will scan the details and place them here.

First Name
Kevin
Over the last 3 or 4 years I have managed to find a few of the Peter Farrar models still in their boxes. Couple of finds from yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_4124.JPG
    IMG_4124.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4125.JPG
    IMG_4125.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4126.JPG
    IMG_4126.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4127.JPG
    IMG_4127.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 18
First Name
Kevin
A few more original models that I've acquired in last few months still in their original transportation/storage boxes.PERER FARRAR DO17.JPG

Attachments

• PETER FARRAR GLADIATOR.JPG
    PETER FARRAR GLADIATOR.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 9
  • PETER FARRAR FURY.JPG
    PETER FARRAR FURY.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 9
  • PETER FARRAR F15.JPG
    PETER FARRAR F15.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 9
  • PETER FARRAR LANCASTER.JPG
    PETER FARRAR LANCASTER.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 8
  • PETER FARRAR MISTSUBISHI.JPG
    PETER FARRAR MISTSUBISHI.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 9
  • PETER FARRAR STIRLING.JPG
    PETER FARRAR STIRLING.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 15

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very interesting Kevin, I think I remember the Humbrol adverts…..
Are these built from standard kits or are they completely hand made?

First Name
Kevin
I would imagine they are kit based with a few tweeks. I don't really know that much about modeling but have always had an interest in original WW2 era wooden aircraft. This led me to what I've been showing on here.

First Name
Kevin
I've found quite a few over the last 3 or 4 years, most have now gone to new homes.

Attachments

• IMG_6879.JPG
    IMG_6879.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8424.JPG
    IMG_8424.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3624.JPG
    IMG_3624.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3650.JPG
    IMG_3650.JPG