Pioneers of modelling progress-Vic Smeed.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
On a visit to the offices of Model & Allied publications many years ago I was treated to a tour of the place,the draughting department,the distribution set up and the editorial offices etc but in a large room there was a layout being built for the next model engineer exhibition,this was a 'slot boats' whereby boats whizzed around water filled channels,suddenly somebodys head suddenly appeared from underneath the layout, and Ron Moulton said to me 'let me introduce you to Vic Smeed' I had seen his books,built from his plans but it was great to put a face to this doyen of all ship and boat model builders.

If it was possible to make a miniature working model then Vic Smeed could be guaranteed to come up with the goods,his many fun designs have kept model builders busy now for many years and continue to do so,the slot boats idea was just the sort of thing that he would tackle !

Take a look in your local library and I bet the model section has a book by him.

D

duncan

His aircraft designs all had a destinctive "family" look that just said Vic Smeed the instant you saw them. My first powered model was the immortal Tomboy with ED Bee and my first seaplane as it had optional floats. Free-flight of course. I was ordered by my father to go and see the owner of a large mansion near the boating pond (take-off area) and beach(landing area), fearing the worst,noise ,nusiance,dangerous flying complaints etc, I duly attended at the Tradesmen`s Entrance at specified hour to find my father(local postman) and a kindly old Gent who asked all the right questions and expressed great pleasure at seeing the Tomboy fly so often. I thought he was a gardener or groundsman for the big house. Turned out he was John Sword, pioneer air service, mail plane, bus companies, bakeries etc entrepeneur,a Richard Branson of the time. Outcome was an invitation to see his "bits and pieces" at his farm up-country. There was three hangars full ! Vintage cars, buses, aircraft,clocks of all ages, fast boats and even a man-carrying miniature steam railway round the lawn. An odd bit of history was divulged during one visit. When Abbasynia`s ruler Haile Selassie was appealing to the world over the Italian invasion of what is now Etheopia,John Sword`s home(s) were the "safe houses" used. Some of "The Lion OF Judah`s" tokens of appreciation were astounding. I`ve had a 1.5 scale Tomboy plan in the loft for a while, )radio assist) now if I can afford a little 4 stroke.....! and finally what is the connection to this smilie ? :rasta:

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The Tomboy ! what a magic little model that was,almost forgot his connection until you mentioned it,you are right these models all had his trademark written over them,a really practical designer of fun models with a capital 'F'

You have me wondering what types of aircraft were in those hangars ? what great days these were,that sure is a lovely evocative story Duncan,I will see if I can find out a bit more of his life and his connections with aviation ?

D

duncan

John Sword formed, or was instrumental in forming,Scottish Motor Traction Air Service (SMT was a big bus company). One of the regulars at Woburn is the Fox Moth finished in that livery. Cant remember the aircraft at the farm, the cars were more interest to me at that time. 1900s to about 1920. Anybody got the smilie connection yet ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just hang on there Adz,you are doing fine.

D

duncan

Just hang on there Adz' date='you are doing fine.[/quote']:wheelchai:It was the cars that were 1900s not me Adz ! You are the right generation to know the answer...start with Bob Marley :cool:

D

duncan

I`ll put you out of your misery...Rastafairians believed that Haile Selassie was the direct descendant of the Queen of Sheba(or was it Cleopatra) and Alexander the Great and that made Selassie the Messiah of Rasta religion. Lost tribe of Isreal apparently went south to Africa (Etheopia)taking Judeaism which them. After 2 thousand years of isolation the religion evolved into Rasta. Haile Selassi was ,ironically, a Christian ! Here endeth Dunkie`s sermon. (I hope I`ve got it right and not offended anyone).

A

adzam

ahhhh

i knew i should of payed more attention to history

thanx for the info dunc :smiling3:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hairy monsters.

I`ll put you out of your misery...Rastafairians believed that Haile Selassie was the direct descendant of the Queen of Sheba(or was it Cleopatra) and Alexander the Great and that made Selassie the Messiah of Rasta religion. Lost tribe of Isreal apparently went south to Africa (Etheopia)taking Judeaism which them. After 2 thousand years of isolation the religion evolved into Rasta. Haile Selassi was ' date='ironically, a Christian ! Here endeth Dunkie`s sermon. (I hope I`ve got it right and not offended anyone).[/quote']*** Eh Duncan that is a pretty impressive piece of history,I did not know that,amazing how these things started in the first place,brilliant ! :respect4: