PJ's 1/72 Kitech Mig 25

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi guys. I've offered to post all of PJ's build logs for this GB for him.

We sorted out the Kitech 1/72 Mig 25 as a nice simple build as we don't want the GB stuff dragging out too long. We're already waaayyyy behind where I'd hoped to be with our He 219 builds. (PJ was desperate to find a Revell 1/32 AR 196 at Cosford and we managed to get one. I also have one in my stash so that will be our next build. Of course that was the day that Vaughn posted his superb version - I won't say PJ turned green with envy but he certainly went pale!)

I gotta take some of the blame for selecting this kit. It looks simple enough, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired. PJ has decided to do it 'wheels up' to make it quicker as clean up on the u/c and missile parts would be a long, tedious process.

We did make a start on both our kits last Monday, so I hope to be able to provide progress pics next Monday - we only do our joint modelling on one day a week.

Customary starting pics:

PJ's boxart.JPGPJ's price label.JPGPJ's sprues.JPG

PS Tony: I think PJ will be needing to make good use of those sanding sticks etc. that you bought for him!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one , its not too bad a kit dave , i built one ages ago when they were being sold at wilkos at xmas time . I think i got it in the jan sale for about 50p! Seem to remember the intakes being a part of the build that needs a bit of care. Cheers tony

Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good luck with your build PJ.
Just remember our chat at Cosford.....Take your time, and if you get up tight, which we all do at times, just walk away from the build for a while.

Grandad 2

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
certainly looks a lot of plastic in the box for the money

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A manufacturer I'm not familiar with. What's the plastic like ?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
A manufacturer I'm not familiar with. What's the plastic like ?

PJ has done all the work on this so far so I don't know. After a trial fit of the upper and lower fuselage pieces though, I suspect I'll be getting a bit more hands on as there looks to be a lot of fettling work needed. I'll let you know.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nice one , its not too bad a kit dave , i built one ages ago when they were being sold at wilkos at xmas time . I think i got it in the jan sale for about 50p! Seem to remember the intakes being a part of the build that needs a bit of care. Cheers tony

A bit of care eh?

IMGP3087.JPGIMGP3088.JPGIMGP3089.JPG
IMGP3090.JPGIMGP3091.JPG

I know this is PJ's build but he's asked for help sorting this lot out. I don't even know where or how to start - that step on picture 1 is nearly 3mm high. Then there's the mismatch in diameter between the wing root on the intakes and on the fuselage.

Any suggestions folks?

The bits at the back look worse than they really are as the gaps are easily filled and PJ reckons he'll be able to cope with them.

Col: Apart from the fit issues, the plastic is pretty good to work with. Not brittle but not too soft and it sands nicely where PJ has started cleaning up the seams.

PS PJ has asked me to tell you guy he reckons this kit is s**t!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
When i said a bit of care , i actually meant a shedload of sanding and a bucket or two of filler!! The intakes need a lot of sanding and dry fitting before gluing , try and get the joint as good as possible by sanding the mating faces of the outer portion to remove approx 1 or 2 mm to get them to sit flush with the fuselage sides. The step at the top and bottom is best sorted by sitting the top flush and sorting the step underneath , this way at least the joint on top will look ok.( even if the underside looks like a dogs breakfast!!) if nothing else it will give PJ a good grounding in the basics , filling , sanding , dry fit and testing etc and he may even go on to a career in plastering and artexing !

• Haha
Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That looks a tough nut to crack. You can do it, just try and keep PJ's enthusiasm firing on all cylinders.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well, a little bit of fettling, a little bit of whittling, a spot or two of filler, and there you have it.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
We've made some progress:

IMGP3121.JPGIMGP3122.JPGIMGP3123.JPGIMGP3124.JPG

Lots of putty and some home brewed liquid styrene for the bigger gaps. I could see poor old PJ's arms falling off next week before he gets to finish all the sanding needed so I've made a start for him.

His original plan was to do this wheels up to save some fettling on the U/C parts. Looking at the fit (?) of the U/C doors I'm going to try and persuade him to put the wheels down as I reckon it will be easier - there are only three U/C legs and no supporting struts etc so clean-up of those will be simple. That only leaves a bit of extra painting. I'll see what he says next week.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
At long last - a bit more progress on this heap of s**t!

Having looked at putting the wheels down, we decided that was just as much work as leaving them up. After many, many hours of filling and sanding, we're finally ready to start painting.

IMGP3237.JPGIMGP3238.JPG

Getting the A/B out now for the primer coat so we can check all the filling .....

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Top marks for perseverance.
Keep it up and I’m sure the results will please you.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Scary stuff Dave but it's coming along nicely with the endeavour of all the hard work going into it. If this is PJs first build then the only way is up after this. Worryingly I have this kit in my stash and I think that's exactly where I'll leave it for the foreseeable future. Looking forward to to your progress. I hope it goes the full twelve rounds. Good luck and onwards and upwards.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Scary stuff Dave but it's coming along nicely with the endeavour of all the hard work going into it. If this is PJs first build then the only way is up after this. Worryingly I have this kit in my stash and I think that's exactly where I'll leave it for the foreseeable future. Looking forward to to your progress. I hope it goes the full twelve rounds. Good luck and onwards and upwards.

Was I you John, I wouldn't bother. There have to be better versions around - unless of course you're one of those masochistic builders who enjoy the frustrations of fixing the problems on poor kits!

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Was I you John, I wouldn't bother. There have to be better versions around - unless of course you're one of those masochistic builders who enjoy the frustrations of fixing the problems on poor kits!
I've tackled bad kits in the past but more by default than design. I'll not be cracking the lid open on this one anytime soon. I vaguely remember it as the canopy missing anyways so that'll be the excuse to myself. :tongue-out3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Congratulations on your patience - or is it stubbornness!
Pete