PJ's Tamiya 1/35 T-62A

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Dave, tracks on this are probably a question for Ron Spanner. He’s made this kit a couple of times. I know some rubber band tracks stick with styrene glue these days, perhaps these do? Failing that, how about CA glue?

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This kit has rubber band tracks which are supposed to be joined by the time honoured method of heating a screwdriver blade and 'riveting' pegs into holes. I remember trying this as a kid and using a lot of staples or cotton stitches to finish the job having completely melted away the pegs. Anyone got any suggestions?
Don’t heat up the screwdriver to much. If it’s too cold, you can’t press the pin down at all, so heat it a little more; this is better than stoking it up far enough that you’ll melt all the way through the pin on the first attempt. And when the pin does melt, press gently with the screwdriver, to avoid the same problem.

PS Jakko - don't worry about your 30 year old memory. I meant to say something when you posted, but by the time I'd finished reading other posts - must have been nearly 20 minutes - I'd forgotten!
Oh, but I have that too :smiling3:

I know some rubber band tracks stick with styrene glue these days, perhaps these do?
Only if it tells you to glue them in the instructions. If those say to melt the pins with a heated screwdriver, glue isn’t going to work very well.

Failing that, how about CA glue?
You will need to have the kind that comes with a kind of marking pen that you need to “paint” the plastic with first, like this:

All-Plastics-Beauty-Pack

I’ve not used this one by Loctite, but I have used similar superglue from Pattex, which isn’t available in the UK. However, Loctite and Pattex are both brand names of Henkel, so I suppose the actual glue and pen are identical. Also, when the glue from this package runs out, don’t throw away the pen — it will work with other superglue too. Be sure to follow the instructions, though.

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, I use one of them there small flat head precision screwdrivers.

But first, apply some glue, any g.p. glue to the track joint. Push the 3 joint pins through the 3 holes and let the glue cure. The glue alone won't hold the joint, but it will hold long enough for the heat application and prevents the pins being inadvertently pushed back out whilst melting them.

I heat the end until it's very hot, but not red hot! Then very gently dab the pins protruding through the track joint.

If the joint fails, don't panic Mr. Mannering! I simply leave it and re-join it with some CA, directly under and glued to, one of the road wheels. No one will notice, unless of course a 'Zoom Merchant' comes along - As if!

The tracks are a generous length, so I fix all the wheels and drive/ idler thingies. Then it's easy to stretch the tracks over the whole assembly. I've had 100% success with the above method. I hope you do to. Perhaps just let P.J. watch. ;)

Ron

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
All-Plastics-Beauty-Pack

I’ve not used this one by Loctite, but I have used similar superglue from Pattex, which isn’t available in the UK. However, Loctite and Pattex are both brand names of Henkel, so I suppose the actual glue and pen are identical. Also, when the glue from this package runs out, don’t throw away the pen — it will work with other superglue too. Be sure to follow the instructions, though.
That stuff is excellent Jakko. I've not used it for modelling but for several household repairs, and it's produced a bond at least as strong as the original plastic.
Pete

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys. I've ordered some of that Loctite Superglue. I'll give that a try with PJ as I'm not at all confident with the heated screwdriver method - and PJ is even less confident than me!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Good luck — though let me repeat: follow the instructions :smiling3: If you don’t, the bond won’t be much stronger than when using just superglue.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK guys. Little bit late, but PJ's finally got this done. Couple of issues with the finished item. Clearly PJ has not added the fuel tanks at the rear. That's because we got fed up trying to get the seams sorted on the tanks. Those in the know will also spot a couple of the searchlights are swapped over - PJ took the wrong parts off the sprue and had them fitted before he spotted his error.

IMGP4203.JPGIMGP4204.JPGIMGP4205.JPGIMGP4206.JPG

All comments welcome which I'll pass on to PJ next week.

PS That Loctite CA worked a treat on the tracks!

PPS Hoping to get my T-35 done in the next few days.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nicely done indeed!!!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys. I'll pass on your comments to PJ when I see him on Monday.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Congratulations to PJ Dave.

The Committee have met and decided its the

download THE DOGS.jpg

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
We was glad to have you both join us on the GB. Sorry for the problems this gave you but still tuned out nice.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Nicely done there PJ. It threw up a few problems but most kits do that. Onwards with your next kit.
Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
PJ has just read through your comments guys and says thanks for your support.