Placing compressor on the floor?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon chaps

In the modelling room I am finally going to leave the compressor set up as security will be very good.

It's going to be on the concrete garage floor, now should I put it on top of something else?? Only concern I can see is draining the moisture trap, knees are not what they use to be lol.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good question.... Mine is on the floor in the kitchen...but I don't have a choice..... Would be interested to here what the experts say!

Thanks for asking.

Andrew

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I would put it on a rubber mat,may help with vibration through the floor if any ,other than that only your knees know the answer!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve only ever had mine set up on the floor. I do place it on an upside down square of carpet (off cut) so it doesn’t damage the flooring, though that won’t be an issue for you. A carpet square would cut the noise transmission down a bit as will. I set the compressor to a high pressure and feed a secondary pressure reducing valve mounted on the airbrush holder so I can easily change operating pressures.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
My set up is the same as Tim's except that instead of carpet my compressor is on a rubber mat.
I always release the pressure at the end of a session by removing the drain plug at the bottom of the tank. I then leave it out until the next time I airbrush. My thinking is it allows any moisture in the tank to drain/evaporate.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Mine is on the floor in the apartment, mounted via rubber washers to a wooden base, which has rubber feet to try and reduce vibration noise, neighbours underneath have never mentioned noise.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I always release the pressure at the end of a session by removing the drain plug at the bottom of the tank. I then leave it out until the next time I airbrush. My thinking is it allows any moisture in the tank to drain/evaporate.
Same here..... And there's always moisture to some extent or other.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A couple of layers of an off cut of rubber underlay for carpets should keep it quiet. As for the knee's up on a shelf us the best way round that one. The compressor not your knees.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I have a couple of bits of wood under the feet of the compressor so I can reach the drain valve more easily.
Pete

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Gents, a goldmine of info there!!

I will have some spare insulation left over from the room!!

Reactions: JR