Plan to do a war of the worlds diorama

L

llopezgi

Hi, new to the forum here. I want to start on a war of the worlds diorama scene. I am thinking of a street scene similar to the movie and then have one or two of the tripods on this street.

The tripods are about 15" tall each so I am not sure which scale would work with this for the street, people cars etc. ANyone who has seen the movie has any idea which scale would work best so that I can buy stuff already made in that scale? The tripods look really big in the movie compared to everything else so I was maybe thinking N scale would work?

Any help would be appreciated and btw great forum from what I have seen so far :smiling3:

P

phalinmegob

hello and welcome to the forum,1/35 scale would make your tripod about 44ft high and 1/72 would make your tripods 90 ft high,have not seen the movie for a while but i am thinking from recollection that they were quite high compared to the buildings so maybe 1/72 (think this is close to oo scale ) would be about right,are we talking new or old film.

L

llopezgi

Thanks for your reply. I am referring to the new film with the three legged tripods.

The size of the tripod is 15" high and as you say in the film it does look much bigger than the buildings. Typical oo building would be around 15 cms high depending on what type of building off course and the tripod would be about 39 cms high so the tripod looks to me like at least should be twice as tall as any building

S

Sky Raider

I love this film and have a a copy of the narated version on tape and CD form many years. I like the idea of a dio on this one but would also love to see a dio of the cover where the Thunderchild comes face to face with the tripod, i bet that would make a fantastic dio.

Cheers

Andy

P

phalinmegob

didnt they replace the warship with a ferry in the newer film.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Not sure to be honest, i guess they couldnt duplicate the Thunderchild.
Cheers

Andy
Wasn't there a thread on here sometime last year about finding a suitable model that could be used to create a 'Thunderchild'?

Gern

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I had the same thought Gern. If I recall White Ensign do a ship that is close to it...

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

There was guys, you are right. Not sure who it was and what became of it though.

Andy

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Found it! Although unfortunately it doesn't seem to offer much help.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/ships-boats-help/10917-war-worlds-thunderchild-diorama-what-ship-uuuulah.html

Gern

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Lets not loose sight of the fact that HG Well's book was a work of fiction, so really any period ship that comes close could be a contender. Unless you are a perfectionist, then there is only one way forward. Scratch build.

Any way we are also getting a bit off the subject, buildings.

I would like to see the model of the tripods!

Ian M

B

Boldman

I was going to ask which movie you were referring to then you mentioned the Ferry and I realised you are talking about the awful Tom Cruise version! Ewwww... you should have a go at a Jeff Wayne tripod!