Plans for my A-10A Thunderbolt II

D

Deisenaut

Just want to run my plans by you guys as, to be honest, I screwed up my previous model (F-86F) at the post wash stage. My A-10A is under planes / under construction. It is painted with Humbrol Enamel (brush). Once all filling etc is done, my plan is:

3 coats klear over 3 days

decals

1 coat klear

1 coat Matt Humbrol varnish (technique requires flat coat)

Mix oils - black, burnt sienna, thinner (turps or white spirit - advise please!)

Paint over all panel lines with 00 brush (raised by the way)

wait 15 minutes

damp water colour brush in thinner

dust all panel lines done (hope to produce effect as per pre-shading)

klear coat

How does this sound - as always, all advise appreciated!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Painted with Humbrol: Enamel paints I presume. matt or gloss.

Three coats of clear might be a bit over kill. Also Remember Klear dissolves in its self. So brushing clear on top of klear might be a problem if it starts to dissolve its self.

Decal then a coat of klear.

Then you can do the weathering. Acrylic is resistant to White spirit/turps so you can put washes directly over the Klear. Turps based washes over Humbrol is a big no no.

Once you are happy with the panels the dirt, and such, then you can seal it down with a clear coat.

Talking of Humbrol Matt Varnish...... Just make sure that you shake this extremely well, then stir it then shake the life out of it again. If not you will get a very shiny finish.

I cant remember if you are airbrush or hairy stick painter. If you airbrush get some Vallejo Varnishes and use that instead of Klear. And Humbrol.

Ian M

D

dubster72

All good advice from Ian, though if you're using the new Klear, now marketed as Pledge, 3 coats might be right as it doesn't seem to cover as well as the old stuff.

I'm not sure why you're applying a coat of matt varnish before you do your wash - the point of adding a gloss coat is to allow the wash to run freely. If you do it over a matt surface, you'll make it harder on yourself.

Also, Humbrol matt is well known for it's ' white bloom ' so be cautious with it. I'd use Vallejo matt varnish myself.

Cheers

Patrick