Plastic clear windows ?

First Name
Carl
I recently bought a second hand model which was missing one of the clear slim windows on one side. Other than try to find some
Clear window out of the parts box and reshape which is probably the easiest method is there anything else you can do to scratch build clear windows?
9DD2D7AE-B887-4598-BDD6-75B9AC6D0B45.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Carl. You have two options as far as I can see. File up a replacement as you suggest, or use Micro crystal clear to fill the window. The best option is th3 replacement, though that will take longer. Crystal clear is easier, but never looks right to me becait doesn’t dry flat like glass.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You can also cut a piece to the right shape from some other clear plastic, like from packaging or clear polystyrene sheet that you can buy from modelling suppliers. You may have difficulty glueing packaging material to a model, though.

Reactions: JR
First Name
Carl
Thanks all for replying, I have ordered some of the glue n glaze as even if I dont use it as the actual glazing it might be a useful glue for sticking in the normal clear windows. I have a few left over flat plastic windos panels from my 1:48 Lancaster so I will attempt to shape one.

Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have had some success with making small windows from..... Sections of Sprue from the clear parts sprue. Warm it squash it, sand to shape and polish it up.
Bonus tip: stretched clear sprue makes rather good bottles, even better if there is a bit with a bubble in....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I used thin plastic the type you get in confectionery boxes at Christmas.