Plastic Fit

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
No Jack,

Please don't bin the kit. The top pic is a model and not a real Panther II. The bottom pic is also very, very iffy. Ok, we won't get into that...

A simple solution would be to nip the track at one of the join points of the links, but first I have to ask if the tracks are workable or did you glue the links all together? If they are workable, then nip the join and swap them around. You would then have the width you need for the skirts and you can glue them back together and hide the join under the skirts, out of view...

The Panther II chassis uses the same roadwheel setup as the Tiger II. The tracks for the Panther II chassis are the same tracks used on the Tiger II when it was transported by rail, not the wider normal Tiger II tracks...

No Panther II's were ever completely built with the small turret designed for it. The chassis was captured by the Americans in April 1945, without a turret.

Allen

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
The Panther never had winterketten. It used ice cleats. The Tiger tanks also never had winterketten. Pz III and IV's had Ostketten...

Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The reference is another model and appears to have winterketten, but a bit short..........did the germans have another type? @Jakko
The last photo:

384ff373-face-4a5c-90f3-e5ea1a05693f-jpeg.401339

is a tank with Panther II tracks, which are like those of the Tiger II: made up of two different types of link, alternating. It’s a completely different track than fitted to production Panthers.

Here’s Dragon’s take on those links, with a single (I couldn’t find any more) Tamiya link from a Panther G kit for comparison:

535D0FB6-9211-4C71-9F40-C38BED183C53.jpeg

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
No Jack,

Please don't bin the kit. The top pic is a model and not a real Panther II. The bottom pic is also very, very iffy. Ok, we won't get into that...

A simple solution would be to nip the track at one of the join points of the links, but first I have to ask if the tracks are workable or did you glue the links all together? If they are workable, then nip the join and swap them around. You would then have the width you need for the skirts and you can glue them back together and hide the join under the skirts, out of view...

The Panther II chassis uses the same roadwheel setup as the Tiger II. The tracks for the Panther II chassis are the same tracks used on the Tiger II when it was transported by rail, not the wider normal Tiger II tracks...

No Panther II's were ever completely built with the small turret designed for it. The chassis was captured by the Americans in April 1945, without a turret.

Allen
No not workable, all glued to the idlers and drive wheel. Trimming back could be an option...

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Ok Jack,

Do you mean glued to the road wheels too, or just to the idlers and drive sprockets? When you glued the tracks on, were the tracks and wheels painted where you glued them? What type of glue did you use on them? I ask these questions as they help in the solution. You only need to put the right side track on the left side and vice versa to correct it and drive on with the skirts. Please be specific as it helps....

Allen

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Ok Jack,

Do you mean glued to the road wheels too, or just to the idlers and drive sprockets? When you glued the tracks on, were the tracks and wheels painted where you glued them? What type of glue did you use on them? I ask these questions as they help in the solution. You only need to put the right side track on the left side and vice versa to correct it and drive on with the skirts. Please be specific as it helps....

Allen
Thanks Allen. Tracks glued at all contact points with Road wheels, idlers and sprockets using TET. Painted post glueing. The tracks were a but of a pain and pretty fragile, hence I did it this way and built them off the tank for ease of painting.6241A91D-1D6B-4F54-9DB0-E38C19BFBAC6.jpeg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Ok,

Another question, Did you glue them on both the outside and the inside road wheel sets or only the outside? Also, did you glue them to the sprocket at every tooth gap? The solution will be time consuming and require a bit of patience and maybe a few bad words....

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Ok,

Another question, Did you glue them on both the outside and the inside road wheel sets or only the outside? Also, did you glue them to the sprocket at every tooth gap? The solution will be time consuming and require a bit of patience and maybe a few bad words....
Yeah went for every point of contact I could reach unfortunately.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Alright Jack,

Then we have to go for plan B...

Plan A, was to, first cut the track as shown here,

6241A91D-1D6B-4F54-9DB0-E38C19BFBAC6_LI.jpg

Then using a lot of toothpicks or Qtips, apply TET to the points of glue contact and gently, with a pair of tweezers, lift the track up a little and stick one or the other under it to let the TET dry. Working towards the front first and then working to the idler. Now the top run is loose. Again using TET, you should be able to loosen the track from the idler and at the front, the drive sprocket. This done and dry, you can work the bottom run the same way being very careful. You then could remove the track and do the other side the same way. Very time consuming and lots of patience but can work....

Now for plan B...Do you have a JLC razor saw in your arsenal of weapons? Or maybe something similar with fine teeth on it and not too big in size? If so, then you could do this,

6241A91D-1D6B-4F54-9DB0-E38C19BFBAC6_LI (2).jpg

Cut off the outer ends of the track and make it a mirror image of the inside of the track. This would also take some time, but your problem would be solved. You could also use a set of cutters to achieve the same effect. Your skirts would fit and hide most of your surgery too. It won't be 100% accurate, but would look good sitting on the flatcar Sir. These are the only 2 ways I can think of to correct the tracks. Please don't bin this beauty Jack..........

Prost
Allen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I was thinking of a Dremel with a cutting disc to cut the outer edge off, as Allen suggested.
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jack, reading the problem it appears Allen's last suggestion looks to be the most logical.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
All very interesting as I have one of these models on the way after a well below retail bid on Ebay.

Andy.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
These are the only 2 ways I can think of to correct the tracks. Please don't bin this beauty Jack..........
There’s a third method: buy a separate wheel sprue and a set of tracks, and start again.

I think I’d try your suggestion of cutting off the outside bits first, though.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No no run away Guy Fawkes Papa John Race is on the loose.Hide flammable liquids,Hide the matches and fire buckets at the ready.
Rich.

Last edited:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Sorry...MIA for a couple of days. Been fighting off a migraine which affect vision in my left eye. Have managed a bit here and there before I go cross eyed, and think I have something that looks passable. A tarp WIP to cover the area that might catch the wrong attention.
4EA8AE25-B946-44EE-A3F4-419B671EF1FC.jpeg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry to read of the migraine Jack, terrible thing to suffer from , our youngest daughter used to have to go to bed in the dark.

Love the tarp, just paper and pva, works a treat.