Polux's Hawker Typhoon Cut-Away.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Good luck Polux. Making a start today on mine, be great comparing progress and experiences.

P

Polux

\ said:
Good luck Polux. Making a start today on mine, be great comparing progress and experiences.
Thank you very much Barry.

I will attend your thread with interest, and I will be more than glad to share experiences as well.

Ok! Let's do it Barry! Good luck ;)

P

Polux

Yep!!

I was looking at my reference photos, and as Barry has mentioned on his thread, the major part of the chassis is painted in green colour, not on aluminium as the airfix instructions mentioned.....

Anyone knows if is for some special reason like a late version or similar....?

View attachment 95730

Anyway I will paint it on green colour as well. If not my model will look so metallic O_o

Errr.....I see many cables there :D

10876934164_b4afd0a2dd_c.jpg

P

phill burrows

This looks incredible. I'm tuned in and will be watching and learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

Polux

Hi.

I cannot start this build like on the instructions, so the first step is present the Typhoon and decide which parts will be show.....

So this is my plan :smiling3:

View attachment 96117

I will wait for the finished cockpit, if the structure is enough resistant, I will cut this part for a better and interesting look.

View attachment 96118

This is the idea, but I will cut more nearly on the edges....

View attachment 96119

Thanks for looking.

Polux

DSC_0799.JPG

DSC_0800.JPG

DSC_0802.JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is a very ambitious project!

If anyone can do it, you can.

Good luck, I'll be watching!

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Rather you than me!

I could not bring myself to cut up that kit like that. I have confidence in you P.

Ian M

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Well...I can’t start the model, but I can play with the colour paints, searching a good future option. :smiling3: I took an old piece and primed with Vallejo black. Just five minutes later I applied the three different products. These are the results after I has been applied and polished thirty minutes later ONLY!!!

View attachment 96510

Why I go so fast?? The reason is I want to know the “resistance” of the product and the other one is I habitually work with the colour coats not dried....

My surprise is the resistance of the wax one :eek: as the final colour as well.

Tomorrow I will prove the washes :smiling3:

Ps: The Alclad one is the dull aluminium.....not the normal one!
Polux .............. I really like the AK True Metal finish ............ I think you've given me the colour for my Last Exile "Vanship" when it arrives ........... Thanks.

Peter

First Name
Dave
Good luck with the surgery Polux.I couldn't bring myself to do that to such an expensive kit.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thi is a very ambitious project Polux, but I have absolutely no doubt at all that the end result will be stunning.

Cheers

P

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Hawker Typhoon Cut-AwayI propose myself to separate this build on two parts or sides.

First Side.

The first one will be a cut-away side. The major part of the job has been done by Airfix....I just need to recreate, principally, the wings edges and the back tail as well. I’m not a habitual scratch build modeller, so this will be an interesting challenge for me.

I found some useful pictures and photos, but I will need to research more info to reproduce a relative accurate model.

View attachment 96393

View attachment 96395

View attachment 96397

View attachment 96398

Second Side.

The second side will be built as a normal kit. The challenge there is the paintwork.... I commented sometime ago I don’t like the colour scheme on the Typhoon o_O, so I decided to do an absolutely different paintwork process. I will keep the original form of the camouflage scheme, but painted over metallic finished parts.....like transparencies! The real challenge is the product that I will use....

This new product is like an oil colour with a wax base....

View attachment 96396

Not...! I never used it before!! So it will be a new discovering :eek:

As you can deduce, I will paint the entire Typhoon with brushes or sponges :smiling3:

A SSIG, that hope, teaches me a lot of new tips and skills :smiling3:

Cheers

Polux
Suspect this product is an update of the Rub 'n Buff product I used on my E.E. Lightning a few years ago, it was an oily wax, and very good. I know you like challenges Polux, and you have certainly picked a hard one, but I know you will achieve an excellent result, be watching you. Derek

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
Suspect this product is an update of the Rub 'n Buff product I used on my E.E. Lightning a few years ago, it was an oily wax, and very good. I know you like challenges Polux, and you have certainly picked a hard one, but I know you will achieve an excellent result, be watching you. Derek
Phil Flory did a review of True Metal and he said that he thought it might be like this rub 'n buff, but his conclusion was no, the TM is a lot better (he did not like rub 'n buff at all).

I am looking forward to the Polux... great reference material.

C

Caledonia

Funny how different people get different results from the same product. Derek

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Funny how different people get different results from the same product. Derek
I used rub 'n' buff on a B36 - took forever, but worked well. I had silver fingers for days afterwards.

Polux, I'm still not quite believing I'm about to watch one of these get cut up. I salute you.................