Polyurethane Parts - Help

• Thread starter Deleted member 7917
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7917

Would any members have advice about the use of polyurethane plastic parts (PUR). I've just started a Special Hobby kit that has many of them.

What's the best adhesive?
Cutting methods?

Reactions: JR

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi murfie , the pur youre referring to is more commonly known as just resin . Its used a lot for aftermarket parts and a few makers ( such as special hobby ) use it for more detailed parts. Its easy to cut/ shape BUT the dry resin powder generated by cutting parts from the pouring block / sanding is a respiratory irritant so a mask is essential while doing this . Wet sanding is therefore recommended and a razor saw for removing parts from the block . As for glueing , just plain superglue is the best thing , plastic glues having no effect at all . Hope this helps , cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7917

Hi murfie , the pur youre referring to is more commonly known as just resin . Its used a lot for aftermarket parts and a few makers ( such as special hobby ) use it for more detailed parts. Its easy to cut/ shape BUT the dry resin powder generated by cutting parts from the pouring block / sanding is a respiratory irritant so a mask is essential while doing this . Wet sanding is therefore recommended and a razor saw for removing parts from the block . As for glueing , just plain superglue is the best thing , plastic glues having no effect at all . Hope this helps , cheers tony
Thanks, Tony. That's extremely helpful. I knew about epoxy resin parts but the PUR reference had me confused. I do have a good mask to wear when sawing parts. Most of them are easily cut with a model knife but some of them need sawing off a base block. Appreciate your help.

Regards,

Murfie

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You only need to be careful about dust — slivers, like you get when you cut or scrape polyurethane resin, aren’t harmful (unless you get them in your eye, I suppose :smiling3:). For this reason, I saw, file and sand it as little as possible but prefer scribing with a knife to separate smaller parts from the sprues, and scraping to clean them up.

For glueing them, you can use superglue. For really big and heavy parts, two-part epoxy glue is better, but for everything else, superglue works fine.