Porsche 911 widow maker

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Hi all,

Just finished this 1/24 Tamiya Porsche 911 Turbo kit. A simple kit which almost snaps together without glue in places. All the parts fitted really well with minimal flash and light seam lines but the masking/painting of all the black trim was an absolute PITA and in the end I gave u trying to make them perfect - what you see is the best I could do. All in all I like the finished build (especially from 3 foot away!) and am particularly proud of the rear rear light bar where you can still see the PORSCHE lettering as on the real car.
This build is a representation of my best customers car which was imported from Germany into RSA in 1988. It came with some factory extras such as white leather interior with 22k gold badges. We subtly modified the vehicle boosting power to 325 BHP and painting the wheel centres Grand Prix White as per the coachwork.
In 1994 we drove 1600 km (approx 1000 miles) to Cape Town from Johannesburg to trade in the Porsche on his newest toy - a 1994 Lamborghini Diablo (kit in stash!) - but on the way down he decided to keep the Porsche so I got the honour of driving it back to Johannesburg in convoy with the Lambo. Up to 100 MPH there was very little between the 2 cars, between 100 to 140 MPH the Diablo edged ahead and after that it disappeared into the distance. Excluding numerous fuel and rest stops it took us just over 11 hours to do the trip. The Porsche is probably my favourite car of all time when driven within 80% of its limits, after that my driving skills were not good enough and the possibility of leaving terra firma on a bend was a real proposition. Acceleration was rapid until the on/off turbo kicked in around 3500 rpm when you were thrown back into the seat and could easily lose your grip on the steering wheel, the unassisted steering was sublime (only bettered by the 996 IMO) and handling below 80% limits "interesting". The owner still has both cars in his large stable.
Enough waffle, have a look at the pictures and comments/criticism welcome as usual.

Best Regards

Stefan

911 1.jpg911 2.jpg911 3.jpg911 4.jpg911 5.jpg911 6.jpg911 7.jpg911  8.jpg911 9.jpg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nice. Found "Whaletailed" Porsches easily swapped ends. Could steer thru turns w/mostly throttle. Agree w/skills necessary to pilot these little beasties. That 3500RPM transition at WOT was shocking.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Another nicely finished model Stefan, and an interesting bit of history.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Stefan, I think you will know the expression then , straight as a Free State road.
Garry

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Gary I certainly do know that expression, you could see 3 weeks into your future in places and nowhere for the cops to hide and place their GATSO speed trap wires. I hear now that the roads are in a poor state of repair with potholes etc. that doing such speeds would be detrimental to your running gear.
Did that trip several times and once the accelerator cable on my Datsun 1600 SSS snapped so cut a length of barbed wire from the farmers fence and jury rigged a cable operated by hand through the drivers door window. Did you live in SA at some time?

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Gary I certainly do know that expression, you could see 3 weeks into your future in places and nowhere for the cops to hide and place their GATSO speed trap wires. I hear now that the roads are in a poor state of repair with potholes etc. that doing such speeds would be detrimental to your running gear.
Did that trip several times and once the accelerator cable on my Datsun 1600 SSS snapped so cut a length of barbed wire from the farmers fence and jury rigged a cable operated by hand through the drivers door window. Did you live in SA at some time?
Hi Stefan, yes I lived there for many years, and drove the roads before they deteriorated. I moved back to England in 2001 and then on to NZ 10 years later to be closer to the grandkids.
Love your story about the SSS, good old bloudraad hey, my mate had one, and we did silly things in it, until he rolled it that is, not with me in it fortunately.