Porsche classic 1/8 scratch build ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well some of you will know with the move I have a new job and that job is working at a company which restores classic porches at the moment there are 16 different porches in our workshop worth 27 mill I'm sooo loving the 904 and would love to build one. I've never done a scratch built car ( loads of ships but never a car) I have no idea where to start but the average turn over is 3 months so plenty of time for measurements I still have to get a modelling area but negotiations are going well. Any suggestions where to start with making the body.

D

Deleted member 7181

I can't help with your question but it sounds like you've landed my dream job!

Got to beat painting endless family hatchbacks for a living :smiling5:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon

A few more classic porches for your collection Ken. I hadn't realised that they could be worth so much.....:thinking:

:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: I think your auto correct has been working overtime

Now, if you want to build a Porsche then I would suggest something along the following lines might be the way to go

Yes, this is a 1:16 tank but the same principles could be applied

Ish-025_15-01-2012.JPG
a basic framework

Ish-052_22-01-2012.JPG
gradually built up to the rough outline of vehicle

Ish-054_24-01-2012.JPG
cover in filler

Ish-058_27-01-2012.JPG
then sand back to get the desired contours

You will need to make a series of contoured sections to act as formers to work around - these will be the cross sectional shape of the shell at various points from front to rear. They can be solid and full width of body to help keep things structurally rigid during building then cut out once a solid body shape is created.

The formers need to be stuck to a rail or plate, spaced to match their position on the shell, so you end up with a roughly car shaped toast rack.

Then start filling in the gaps between the formers with strips

Once you have the basic shape cover in filler and sand to shape - the more formers used the easier it is to get the required shape as there is less room for error between formers

To stand a chance of doing this you will need very good measurements of the shell so that the formers accurately reflect the sectioned shape - a 3d computer model of a shell would be ideal if you can get one as you could then get the computer to take the sections (or get the whole thing 3d printed)

The whole thing will need precision measuring, marking, sanding, correcting, sanding etc - not an easy task.

Hard enough with a heavy duty tank shell

904 info - there are some plans on this link. Don't know how accurate they are.

First Name
Noel
Ken, if you are looking to start scratch building model cars, I would recommend that you seek out the late Gerald Wingrove's books titled The Complete Car Modeller numbers 1 and 2. Last known publisher was Haynes.