Post Apocalypse "Road Train" kitbash.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
E

EJD

I agree with minitnkr, get some inspiration from elsewhere, just search google for images if you have to.

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The other thing to do is look at it as if it was a real vehicle. Remember form follows function....work out what the vehicle does and how it does it, then put the bits on it needs to do those tasks......

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Like Paul says, you definitely need armour plating of some description, and almost any sort of small calibre weaponry wouldn't go amiss. Of course, if you mount machine guns, the operators will need somewhere to sit/stand to operate the guns and some sort of protective shields - maybe even mini turrets like cylinders with open backs with a gun mounting on top like a tank cupola has. It looks like you could fit a couple next to the base of the crane. The crew will also need quarters where off-duty crewmen can eat and sleep - is there room for a small cabin next to the fuel tank?

The one in your original picture has some sort of shielding over the wheels and tyres - maybe you could achieve something similar with skirts like a tank has. Only by the wheels mind, you don't want to cover up all the lovely details!

You've got a pump control for the tank - what about the actual pump and fuel lines? And what's to stop anyone climbing aboard your bowser and draining the fuel? Maybe some sort of mesh cage around it?

Don't know if any of these will spark any inspiration Andy. I hope so 'cos I'd like to see this finished.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Great work to date so much too good to become a long time shelf queen. Some great ideas from the guys. Maybe put it carefully to one side for a while and start something else. An idea will come and you'll be back with renewed mojo.
Jim

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I watched Mad Max 2 the other day. Bullets/shells were in scant supply in that film, most of the projectile weapons were crossbows and flamethrowers.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the comments everyone. I wasn't looking for suggestions, but they are appreciated, even though I have no plans for any armaments.

I did think of something to do - stripping the wheels & tyres. Meths and a toothbrush sorted that out. Pretty tedious but better than scratching my head.

The crew will also need quarters where off-duty crewmen can eat and sleep - is there room for a small cabin next to the fuel tank?
Thanks Dave, already on with one of those. A bit plain still, but it's a start. There'll be room next to it for some kind of load platform (why else would they need a crane after all?), but like I say, with so many others things left to do my brain can't compute what order to do them in :upside:

yhYYcat.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
If you want any posters advertising the food - let me know. I got some left from my build - which should be done soon now I've got my A/B fixed - again!

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Looking great Andy :thumb2: , love the scratched containers and as for ideas maybe a plough in front to clear the way and some handles here and there?

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Fernando. I do plan to put something like that on the front, but haven't decided on style yet.

And of course I need to know how high off the ground this will be first, which opens up yet another can of worms :smiling5:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Haven't said anything yet, Andy, just enjoying the scratchery presented with such precision and neatery. :smiling2: The guys suspicions are just bouts of envy. Your profession helps your eye for detail and precision so it's just natural that with a bit of imagination masterpieces are made. Give yourself a pat on the back now and then if it helps spur the mojo.

Like what I see so far. Some apocalyptic artistry use a mixture of the old and new. The plow could be from a steam engine of the 1800's.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Richard.

I still have a long way to go to reach the level of many on here, and I have personality traits that make some, seemingly simple tasks extremely difficult, but Rome wasn't built in a day they say :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

I'm still sifting through ideas for the "cabin" so made a start on the load bed instead. A few joints & gaps to tidy up, but the basic structure is done.

5e56GDR.jpg

Then on to the wheels. I've probably thought about this way too much, but since the MAZ wheels used a very different mounting to the MAN axles I had to come up with something.

I cleaned up the old mountings from backs of the wheels and added some lengths of 6mm tubing. When finished these should hopefully look a bit like brake drums. I then cut lengths of 4mm tubing which will fit over the ends of the MAN axles, spacing the wheels out a little and allowing the 6mm tubing to slide over, giving a decent mounting I hope. For a bit of extra strength I drilled and pinned the ends of the axles.

4PsNsZ5.jpg

With all the wheels CA'd into place

Ecajd8y.jpg

Once that had firmed up I carefully removed the wheels, leaving the 4mm tubing in place. I filled the hollow tube with the pin running through it with more CA. Should be beefy enough. Once they're fully dry I'll do something about blending the tubing into the axle. It won't be perfect but I thought a solid mounting should take priority over appearance.

Wq87qVK.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just brill Andy, love it.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John & Paul.

My head is still muddled but I figured if I got on with the stuff that I know wants doing, the rest will come to me.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That is coming along very nicely. I agree with what Tim said earlier: if you think about what things are, you can work out how they should do that, and build accordingly. You seem to be doing that quite well with the bits you’ve been adding. It also pays to just rummage trough your spares box to see if there’s anything there that looks like it could go on this model — you might just get some inspiration for another cool addition.