Post Apocalypse "Road Train" kitbash.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I concur with the others, and to yourself Andy. To me, the ram looks too narrow and seems designed to fold under the vehicle or push things into Bob’s face rather than away from him. It would perhaps look better If larger and hung from the buffer mounts rather than the chassis? Alternatively perhaps think of an offensive ram type arrangement rather than a defensive plough?

D

Deleted member 7181

It's finding that balance Tim. I want it to look like it was thrown together in the field from junk (I've nailed that part! :tongue-out2:), but don't want it looking like I just threw it together on the bench (as it does now :unamused:)

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
Apart from a bit of beefing up it looks fine to me but its your build mate so you have to be happy.

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Paul, definitely agree with all the comments about it needing to be beefier. I think Bob needs a full beard rather than the goatee he has now :smiling5:

I've started mocking up 3 options; an up scaled version of what I've already got, a scoop type more like a dozer blade, and a swoopy curvy one very much like a proper farm plough.

The latter is proving the hardest by far with the compound curves, but the shape seems to suit the build better (nice one Rick).

Adding in Simons suggestion of echoing the 3 shapes on the nose of the loco and I might be onto a winner.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Some outside exhaust...........to show a little "Muscle" perhaps?.......just a thought. Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Andy, if its done in the field perhaps some rough welding to joints might work too. Parts too don't need to look simetrical.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Patience Rick ;)

I'm going to try Richard. I'm not sure how much I can manage at this size but will give it a go once I settle on a design I like.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
You're doing a cracking job with this. Certainly loads of ideas coming from your happy band of followers. THIS is what you need for the front :tongue-out3:
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Funny you should say that Jim, I keep eyeing up the box of warhammer skulls that Thomas has :smiling5:

First Name
Brian
Wow this looks great... Really inspirering to watch.

Have you considdered looking into spare tires for rc units? There are a lot of options.

Keep up the good work.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andy
Not sure if you have this solved now, but this is the sort of ram I was trying to describe.....
CC63B646-A80E-4CD7-94B9-CF847118E119.jpeg
Its a bit like a trireme type appearance.....also has an Art Deco appearance like Deltic....
cheers
Tim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Brian, glad you like it so far.

The build you linked to is a fine looking beast, but based on a 1/20 chassis the wheels would be 3 or 4 times too big for this, which is based around 1/72 and 1/76 parts.

Great picture Tim! That's similar to my favourite of the three shapes I've tried. Getting nice, rounded compound curves out of card is proving tricky though, I may need to do a little carving.

D

Deleted member 7181

I've been crazy busy in and out of work, so haven't had much time for modelling, but with my new compressor arriving today I've been splashing some paint around.

After priming with black Mr Surfacer I sprayed various rust shades around.

64q8VQ5.jpg

Then a coat of the traditional blue these were often seen in, heavily chipped

GNRSEyX.jpg

It had another coat of a lighter blue which was also chipped heavily, then some off-white for the roof.

6snUeqx.jpg

Still very much WIP, lots more to do, but the project is still rolling along, albeit slowly due to other commitments.

I plan to do a bit more work on the white "stripes" and nose embellishments, then seal all of this lot in with some varnish before starting with the detail painting. All of this is done in the 3rd Gen AK acrylics, so at least I can brush bits in where needed.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Outstanding. Starting to look desert worn for sure. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thank you gents. A tentative start but I'm happy so far.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good mate, glad to see it’s still moving forward.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The chipping is good Andy. Can't get that effect with just painting. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Tim & Richard.

I'm still quite new to hairspray chipping but finding it easier with the water based acrylics.