Post Apocalypse "Road Train" kitbash.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jakko.

Yes, I've got plenty of ideas & spare bits. Probably too many, which is where the problem lies.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Ian.

Lets look at your spare parts box and let us help you pick something appropriate. :smiling2:
Seems like I caused a lot of confusion when I said (to myself) "what now?" Sorry all, poor choice of words.

"How should I proceed?" Or "What is my order of operation?" would have made more sense, but that's not how the voices in my head speak :smiling5:

Since I’ve never done anything like this before it's more a case of sorting out in my head which bits to do, in which order, so they don't get in my way when I do the next thing, or have to remove something completely because I haven't done the other thing, or that bit needs to be done so that I know where to fit the other bit.

All of that, for each idea I have and each part I want to fit, spinning around my head at warp speed until my brain finally crashes and I have to start from the beginning again!

I'm probably better off not over thinking it and just keep nailing stuff on, but I'm not really wired up that way :upside::smiling5:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sounds like you got a plan - even if you don't have a scheme of work to go with it!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
When I did my rock crusher plant I started with the frame, suspension & wheels as you did then the main large structures like you did. Then as I envisioned the rest I cleared a space & then went through the various "Found Objects", spares, & cutoff boxes grabbing stuff that might fit in the FINAL PICTURE. This narrowed things down a bit so I could start dry fitting, in a loose fashion, various ideas till the PICTURE & sequence became clearer with the parts selected. Then the real work started. Just some thoughts w/firstcuppa. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Sounds like you got a plan - even if you don't have a scheme of work to go with it!
Yes Dave, kind of. I've a rough idea where I want to go, but my Satnav is having trouble plotting the route :smiling5:

Cheers Paul, something like that might help me visualise the process better. I envisage an afternoon involving lots of blutack..

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Your certainly on a roll here mate. Had a very enjoyable read through and I luv where your imagination is taking you too with this model. Looking forward to seeing the next up date. Keep up the great work my friend.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve.

It might not be to everyone's taste, or up to the epic standards that some can produce, but it's keeping me entertained and I'm learning a lot as I go.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Neil.

I think I looked at so many pictures for inspiration that I've ended up with something that's a mixture of the ones I liked, which doesn't quite float my boat.

As always I'll sleep on it before doing anything drastic though.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well as Neil rightly says your model.
Still were all enjoying it, but what ever you decide it will be great .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Not to be critical Sir, if it were mine I would be thinking streamliner as in smooth and rounded surfaces.........I think anything sharp and angular would tend to break up an otherwise harmonious scheme....just me letting my creative juices flow. I liked the original posting that showed the wheels covered with smooth discs....and lastly, I would think on some larger, wider rubber and try to figure some way to fair it in with the existing body lines to give it a futuristic look....just trying to inspire you Andy as I have been watching this one progress and you do have a lot invested time and talentwise. I hope you get it sorted and don't end up binning it....cheers, Rick H.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Just my random thoughts Andy.....

looks a bit weedy for such a big beasty and also rather low to ground for a fixed unit

how about some kind of pointy triangular snow plow type ram with three tiers that mimic the curves on the front of the engine, all with hydraulics so it can raise and lower to attack different things without grounding out

and lose the sad Bob the Builder like face :smiling5:

I would say though that if you really don't like it try something else otherwise it will probably just niggle at you

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Andy, I concur with Simon's suggestion on the Bob the Builder face on the front. Don't lose steam over it...take a step back and let the creative juices breath and you'll be surprising us again.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Looking at the pictures again this morning it still seems disjointed to me, although I'm struggling to see past the sad face now you've mentioned it Simon :smiling5:

It's attached to the chassis rather than the body so shouldn't cause too much havoc if I remove it. I might try mocking something else up in cardboard first though, as I'm not guaranteed to make anything I prefer.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see you not settling for second best. I'm sure the new ram will look the DBs. Keep at it mate. It's an awesome build

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You've got to enjoy it Andy, no point in continuing if it's not how you see it.
You certainly have the ability to model, so I'd leave it for a day or two while your mind works it out.:thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers chaps.

I'm on shift at the moment anyway John, which doesn't leave much time for anything major, so it'll give me a few days thinking time.

Reactions: JR