Post Apocalypse "Road Train" kitbash.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

A little bit more...

I've starting fixing the elements in place, made a little cook pot for the campfire, and something for the crane to lift.

I've also added the coloured "gravel", trying to make 3 seperate areas, but they don't all show up so well on the pictures. There is a smoother section for a roadway, and a darker area near to the well, with a sprinkling of vegetation.

gBAvbBU.jpg

Qh9s4Ar.jpg

FoG60Zk.jpg

I've got a couple of ideas for other figures, but still think it needs something else. I'd thought about scratch building a buggy, similar to the Ariel Nomad, but that might be a bit ambitious :smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Those different colours and coarsenesses of gravel work very well. The fine stuff on the road may not be that obvious, but that’s mostly because the big vehicle is parked right on top of it. However, I think that if you hadn’t used a finer type there, nobody would figure out that it’s on a road, whereas now, you’re kind of subliminally suggesting that even to those who don’t really see it.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Looking really smart Andy, love the use of the prototype Deltic body, if you could harness the twin engine power that truck would fly :smiling:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
... and better, and better! Nit picking I know, but shouldn't there be a handrail next to the door on the trailer?

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks guys.

Jakko - it's more noticeable IRL but the picture doesn't pick it up well.

Yes Mick, plenty of pulling power!

Dave - I'm sure I meant to add one at some point, but hung the chain and must have forgotten :smiling5: I'm still adding bits & pieces to the vehicles as I go along so I'll put that on the list thanks.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Andy, lovely work on the terrain with the different coursed grains of sand.
I can see where Jakko is coming from as the road is not quite defined in the image. It probably is not a road well traveled but if the gravel is stuck on and to make it more conspicuous and in scale you could use a piece of scotchbrite and brush over the road area. That would leave the finer grain dust behind and hopefully define the road. Just a suggestion if you'd like to try it. Tack it down with diluted white glue.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Awesome! Nice to see you putting on the final touches. Its been a truly epic project.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps! It's starting to sap my mojo a little so your great comments really help :thumb2:

I've been doing something similar today Richard as it happens. I picked out the few larger stones that were still in it and sprinkled a bit more sand over. A few well thinned down coats of paint over and it looks a little bit more defined now. Still not a proper road as such, but just a slightly smoother area where a few vehicles have passed by and compressed the surface.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ooh a camp fire as well !
Looks brilliant Andy, base is spot on.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John!

I've added a little guy that appears to be watching what's cooking, but really he's standing guard in case you show up :smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Coming on a real treat. I'm not sure of the scale issue but how about a dog. Lots of makers do dogs and perhaps a German Shepherd guard would fit in. Just a thought - its your model :thumb2:
Jim

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim.

Kind of linked to a Shepherd, I have some sheep. Not quite as ferocious though :smiling5:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Andy first of all i would like to apologize for not being more present on this wonderful build and second i would like to say that your futuristic diorama is really super and very realistic... LOVE IT...

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Greg, but no need to apologise. I can barely keep up with the forum these days myself, I miss so much!

As a big fan of your work I'm flattered that you like my humble offering.