Post War 1/72 FAA - Part 2 - Cyber Hobby DH Sea Vixen FAW.2

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
this is my first time of using AK Interactive white primer, I'm hoping that peeling is only in small patches - otherwise it'll be back to grey primer & multiple coats of white paint...............

Uppersurfaces sprayed....................P1060311.JPGP1060312.JPG
The Hataka EDSG went on very smoothly & sprayed very well, just a few drops of water added.
Dave

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This is one of the drawbacks of FAA modelling. The two tone are stark and unforgiving and they are a pain to mask!
Don’t worry, Dave will get a lot of practice applying it :smiling3:

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Oh no, sorry to see this Dave. Such a shame.
Sensible to put it to one side. You’ll figure out a solution.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Strip and try again, I suppose is the only real solution, but I can definitely see why you might not feel like continuing to work on this model just now.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Dave, don't dispare. Strip the paint off with Easy Oven Off or a paint stipping method you know of and reprime. I have a question, could ther be a reaction to the two paints used?

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Richard,
could be, it was the first time I used the AK primer. I'm going to have another go with the paint combination on the Sea Hawk - fingers crossed
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sea Vixen resurrection............................P1060335.JPGP1060336.JPG

I think that this is as good as I can expect - I couldn't find the enthusiasm to totally strip the underside. I used a fibre glass pen to remove all the areas of loose paint, then brush reprimed the bald areas before giving another overspray with Insignia White. There are a few areas that will have to be touched up by small brush.
I masked the leading edges - and found that the EDSG wasn't lifted by the tape. This may just indicate an incompatibility of the AK primer & the Hataka Insignia White. Whatever, I'm NOT going to use this combination again! The AK primer, I might use on single colour aircraft! I've used the Hataka Insignia White before - on a 1/48 US Navy Gull Grey/White Fury, so I am happy with that..................Fin 01.jpgFin 04.jpg
Sometimes, trying a new material can lead to problems! Moral of this is " If it ain't broke, don't fix it "
Anyway, I'll touch up the small areas where needed, before a gloss varnish overspray
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a gloss coat, I made a start on the decals. this is the result after 21 decals have been added
P1060340.JPG

All those red hatch warnings! I don't know why they didn't put a single thick line round the outside!
The decals are thin, but luckily pretty tough, as they needed quite a bit of prodding to get into place. I've coated with the Mig Decal Fix, and I'll let it dry overnight.
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This is another one of those where you almost get the impression that they felt like making modellers’ lives more difficult :smiling3: